BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

BT Streaming vs Connected

So I have an iPhone 6 Plus and a 2014 X5. Using Spotify....

I can BT stream from the phone but for some reason only the first songs Album Art shows up, when the next song starts or if you FF it continues to only show to track and art info for the first song that loaded. Have not figured out any work around on this.
Now with Spotify a Connected App, I plug in the phone via the USB in the center console and I get 100% functionality. The iDrive is actually the only way to control Spotify, when plugged in the phone becomes unusable. Meaning if you pick it up to check something on it kills the iDrive connection. Now you can interact with Siri via the cars button on the steering wheel and when done it will resume Spotify, but if you mess with the phone you will need to go reset up the Spotify connection.

Here is a pic of the full up screen with Spotify and iDrive Apps.

So is there any way to get all of this or at least the correct track and album art to load with just BT Streaming? Any music service work??
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
zsx_m
Rasp Addict
Rep
Drives: Moonstone M4

I have this exact same problem in my M4 except instead of Spotify I'm using Pandora. The next album art never displays, and I'm stuck with whatever the first song's album art was for as long as I'm driving.

As soon as I plug the phone in it becomes unusable and I can't stream music. I have successfully streamed music twice so far, after numerous resets and switches between AUX & Bluetooth.

Do you have the "Enhanced USB & Bluetooth" option? I do not have it in my M4 and ordered it on the X6 to hopefully avoid this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I must have that option since I can plug in the Apple cable to the USB and get the connected app to run on the iDrive. But like I said I'd rather just stream since there is no place in the center console to put my phone since that stupid snap in is in there and there is zero word when and if a cradle for a 6 Plus will be out. So I have to have the USB cable running out of the center console to plug in the iPhone. Also when plugged in the Spotify and BMW logos show up on the lock screen and like I said you get no phone functionality. No onscreen notifications show up just that BMW/Spotify logos.
BUT the thing works great with the album art skipping tracks via the iDrive mouse or the scrolling thingy on the steering wheel.
It just has to be plugged in to the USB to get all of this....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I get the cover art using iTunes Radio and inTune Radio. But, the cover art froze all the time on a loaner that I had for a few days. Check that you have the latest BMW bluetooth firmware for smartphones: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

Another procedure that has helped many:

- unpair phone
- sign out of iCloud
- restart phone
- sign back into iCloud
- pair phone
      12-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Heden
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 MY2016

I tried this the other week, but I gave up as soon as I realized that you couldn't multi task with the phone whiles connected. I wonder what idiot develops that functionality 2014?

Last edited by Heden; 12-03-2014 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Hook3m1rish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37s

I have the same problem on my 2015 x5 - either the cover art freezes on the first song or the phone becomes unusable when plugged in.

Two questions - How did you get the weather to show up on the split screen? I didn't know that was possible. Second, has anyone had the issue where the song shows to be playing on the idrive, but there is no sound?

Finally, cool that you're from Denton, Tx. I'm from Flower Mound originally.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook3m1rish View Post
I have the same problem on my 2015 x5 - either the cover art freezes on the first song or the phone becomes unusable when plugged in.

Two questions - How did you get the weather to show up on the split screen? I didn't know that was possible. Second, has anyone had the issue where the song shows to be playing on the idrive, but there is no sound?

Finally, cool that you're from Denton, Tx. I'm from Flower Mound originally.
There is a setting for the split screen. Then you can choose what is displayed on the right side, BMW Online Widgets I think is what its called. Then there is Weather, Weather and Clock (mine) and some stupid and useless Pano pic mode.

Ok, so no one can get BT Streaming to work with Cover Art and Song info without plugging the phone into the USB, and most have seen that when you plug in it makes the phone unusable.
What about using a iPod with WiFi connected to the USB cable that always stayed in the car.
1. iPod with WiFi, so iPod Touch connected to USB
2. I have a Hot Spot feature on my iPhone 6 Plus active.
3. Connect to iPod with iPhone.
4. Run Spotify App on iPod
5. iPhone is left to connect to BT and usable
Anyone got this setup working, or do I need to buy a cheap iPod Touch to test it out??
Appreciate 0