04-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
It is not a retrofit, it is an accessories.
It doesn't work or located as the original HUD.
I am thinking of trying it on my F10 though, since I don't have HUD on the F10.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Looks pretty cool
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks pretty cool
Yea, but I've did a quick read, seems like the GPS is using your mobile, not the one within the car.
I will read some more later when I have some down time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport
Quote:
Looks pretty cool
Yea, but I've did a quick read, seems like the GPS is using your mobile, not the one within the car.
Correct. And it's connecting over wifi, not Bluetooth. It's a cool device but seems a bit weird with some of the requirements. That alone means your data connection probably won't work for other things.
      04-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Quote:
Quote:
Looks pretty cool
Correct. And it's connecting over wifi, not Bluetooth. It's a cool device but seems a bit weird with some of the requirements. That alone means your data connection probably won't work for other things.
Wish it tapped into the OBD2 then run a separate wire to the head units controls
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

As @wdimagineer stated and I just read through it.
It is useless if you have NAV in the car already, since it didnt pull the Navigation info from the car, but from your mobile.
With that, you will have 2 Nav lady screaming each other arguing which way would be the shortest route.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
As @wdimagineer stated and I just read through it.
It is useless if you have NAV in the car already, since it didnt pull the Navigation info from the car, but from your mobile.
With that, you will have 2 Nav lady screaming each other arguing which way would be the shortest route.
3 women arguing if the wife is also in the car
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Seems great if you want HUD and don't have it, and can live with cons mentioned in the link. Still, no clock or outside temp in this unit. Ability to connect to a portable data device vs. a phone would solve a lot of the problems, provided you could still configure it with a phone app.

no downsides ? Of course there are - I point out a few:

• price: it ain't cheap, but apart from all its car functionality, you also get a navigation app (including many country maps) on your smartphone, which can also be used when you're outside your car;

• the design of the base/foot of the Head-Up Screen, once installed on a dashboard, won't win a price for elegance; the screen itself is kinda cool though (especially when active); functionality has its price;

• the device is visible from outside your car and cannot be disconnected/hidden; not very discreet;

• the navigation uses WIFI/WLAN (not Bluetooth as some of you might think): as long as WIFI/WLAN is active on your smartphone and a connection made to the "Head-Up Screen" network, you'll have no langer access to Internet and won't receive incoming Internet messages (e-mails, Whatsapp, bbm, Facebook, etc.); you can still make phone calls, of course; on longer journeys, each time you take a break, just briefly switch off WIFI/WLAN on your smartphone to allow your messages to enter (well, as several may remark, it's safer anyway to read messages while not driving); on the contrary, SATNAV does not block your Internet messages;

• if the signal is lost or you drained your smartphone, navigation stops;

• once WIFI/WLAN has been switched off, you got to start the procedure all over again if you want navigation;

• when driving abroad, roaming costs are inevitably involved (check your phone tariff plan); on the contrary, SATNAV uses sattelites and does not cost you anything;

• navigation drains the battery of your smartphone; it's wise to always connect your smartphone to a charger cable (at least if the trip is longer); a snap-in adapter is useful to recharge and improve signal reception, but unfortunately your screen will be hidden under the armrest (while you will prefer to see the navigation map, for example from the ashtray area); on the contrary, SATNAV operates independently from your smartphone;

• personal taste: I wouldn't mind normal letters instead of italics (except if mistaken, the Mini Cooper head-up display does not feature italics);
personal taste again: I would have preferred that hp is shown instead of kW (probably not integrated due to the difference between hp and metric hp); as the screen features no 'hp' sign, I doubt that a later BMW Head-Up Screen app will feature the possibility to toggle between kW and hp.
UNQUOTE