BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
gktii
BMW Aficionado
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

2016 X6 Diesel in USA?

Hey everyone...I'm new here so please excuse me if i'm posting this in the wrong area, or if this has already been asked...I currently own a 2012 X5 35d. I am trading it in soon, but have been waiting to see if there will be a 2016 X6 in diesel. I love my diesel, and want to remain in the diesel line, but really prefer the X6 this time around...What's showing on the site, are only the gasoline versions. Does anyone have any knowledge if there will be a Diesel X6 and when?

Thanks for all the help.

Gerry
      12-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gktii View Post
Hey everyone...I'm new here so please excuse me if i'm posting this in the wrong area, or if this has already been asked...I currently own a 2012 X5 35d. I am trading it in soon, but have been waiting to see if there will be a 2016 X6 in diesel. I love my diesel, and want to remain in the diesel line, but really prefer the X6 this time around...What's showing on the site, are only the gasoline versions. Does anyone have any knowledge if there will be a Diesel X6 and when?

Thanks for all the help.

Gerry
Unlikely in the US. Only in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
gktii
BMW Aficionado
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66
Quote:

Thanks for all the help.

Gerry
Unlikely in the US. Only in Europe.
Hmm. Interesting. Any idea why?
      12-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm. Interesting. Any idea why?
Low Overall demand...they're wrong I think
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

I never understood why the X6 is not offered with a Diesel here in North America.

Low demand doesn't even explain it because its not like they have to redesign the entire car and build a new motor. It would be exactly like the one used in the X5 which has passed all the testing and whatnot needed to put it on the road here.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedR8 View Post
I never understood why the X6 is not offered with a Diesel here in North America.

Low demand doesn't even explain it because its not like they have to redesign the entire car and build a new motor. It would be exactly like the one used in the X5 which has passed all the testing and whatnot needed to put it on the road here.
100% agreed...
To make the matters worse, Mercedes sells its new GLE Coupe in diesel as well!?!?
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
gktii
BMW Aficionado
United_States
Rep

Quote:

These were my thoughts exactly! And even better than that, they are currently making the x6 Diesel in Europe so it's just an emissions change from what i understand...Seems like a simple transition..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
100% agreed...
To make the matters worse, Mercedes sells its new GLE Coupe in diesel as well!?!?
And you're right! there's no reason why MB should have it and the X6 doesn't...looks like i'm going to have to buy another X5 again (my 5th one) instead of the X6 (not that i don't like the X5 because i do, but i wanted the sportier X6 but has to be diesel)....And i bet as soon as i get it, they'll introduce the X6 in diesel...Ugh!!!
      12-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
These were my thoughts exactly! And even better than that, they are currently making the x6 Diesel in Europe so it's just an emissions change from what i understand...Seems like a simple transition..

And you're right! there's no reason why MB should have it and the X6 doesn't...looks like i'm going to have to buy another X5 again (my 5th one) instead of the X6 (not that i don't like the X5 because i do, but i wanted the sportier X6 but has to be diesel)....And i bet as soon as i get it, they'll introduce the X6 in diesel...Ugh!!!
We've always had our sight on X6, but for one reason or another it never materialized and we kept choosing X5. Mostly due to rear seating interior space.
BMW is not doing themselves any favor as GLE coupe diesel will steal a piece of their pie.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
gktii
BMW Aficionado
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We've always had our sight on X6, but for one reason or another it never materialized and we kept choosing X5. Mostly due to rear seating interior space.
BMW is not doing themselves any favor as GLE coupe diesel will steal a piece of their pie.
Same here...I toyed with the X6 my last time around, but at the time, it was only offered in the rear center console configuration, and i have 4 kids so that wasn't an option...But since they did the bench rear, it's a more viable option...I just love the look of the beefy rear end....

and i agree on the GLE stealing a bit of the biz...i just can't bring myself to purchase a MB...Tried it once before, with a convertible, but wasn't my thing...Nice vehicles, but i'm a Bimmer guy...
      12-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #10
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

A: Perception, with many grains of reality. I don't think the US market has come to accept that you can have a high-performance, sports-oriented diesel car/SUV. And, BMW knows this.

That said, I think they should seriously consider all the diesel variants (25d, 40d, m50d) here. I would grab a 40d in a heartbeat, and relieving my garage of one more car could justify an m50d.

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-07-2015 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
A: Perception, with many grains of reality. I don't think the US market has come to accept that you can have a high-performance, sports-oriented diesel car/SUV. And, BMW knows this.
TOTALLY disagree, if that was the case we wouldn't have a 335d or a 535d (where the diesel take rate is much less than it is in the SUV/SAV segment)

Around here, you barely see a MB SUV with a gas-powered engine, I would comfortably say that 80% of the MB SUV (GLK, ML (GLE now)GL) are all diesel and I would say at least 60-70% of the X5s I see are 35d, not 35i.

So if BMW sees a purpose for a 335d/535d, surely there is a market for an X6d.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Same here...I toyed with the X6 my last time around, but at the time, it was only offered in the rear center console configuration, and i have 4 kids so that wasn't an option...But since they did the bench rear, it's a more viable option...I just love the look of the beefy rear end....

and i agree on the GLE stealing a bit of the biz...i just can't bring myself to purchase a MB...Tried it once before, with a convertible, but wasn't my thing...Nice vehicles, but i'm a Bimmer guy...

Bimmer all the way
I would have seriously considered X6 if the diesel version was out///
and I think this time was the closest we ever got to owning an X6...but the diesel factor as well as the VERY LIMITED color choices on the premium seating (if you didn't want the hideous bi-color seating!!??!!) led us to skip it again for the 3rd time! (lost to F25 X3, F15 X5, F15 X5)
Now with X7 on sight, the X6's chances will most likely fall through forever comes the time to change the X5 perhaps in 3-4 years time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
TOTALLY disagree, if that was the case we wouldn't have a 335d or a 535d (where the diesel take rate is much less than it is in the SUV/SAV segment)

Around here, you barely see a MB SUV with a gas-powered engine, I would comfortably say that 80% of the MB SUV (GLK, ML (GLE now)GL) are all diesel and I would say at least 60-70% of the X5s I see are 35d, not 35i.

All respect to Matt, but I think our friend Slammed has a point...
I had never paid attention to this before, but during the past 2 months that we have been struggling with the whole 35d and 35i...
I started delving into the type of cars I see in the streets...and a striking ratio of diesel X5's and MB SUV's that I saw here were astounding (a strong 60-70% ratio)...almost all MB's. I think, It will a matter of time that our streets will be crowded with GLE Coupe diesel... I have already seen a lot of them on the road. (not sure if their diesel variant is out yet?!)
Last week I was in Alberta and I must say the majority were 35i as gas is soooo cheap compared to our province.
But to me it was conclusive that diesel is a considerable market even for X6 to be considered diesel...I'm 100% sure BMW will reconsider once they see MB's success here.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #14
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedR8
Quote:

You may have missed my point about "sport". Where I am diesel also dominates, and I have one. But the X6 is positioned as.a moire sporty vehicle. And there are zero sports oriented diesel cars for sale in the US. Even the 3 series sporty 335d has been demoted/discontinued, replaced by the "efficient" four cylinder 325d. They sell few 3ers in diesel. MB sells few diesels outside of SUVs. Audi, only SUVs. VW, let's not go there. Meanwhile, Chrysler sells diesels into EU. The manufacturers are under the belief customers won't buy anything other than diesel trucks and SUVs -nothing sporty. But since we are all taking opinion, heck, we are both wrong

Also in Europe diesel is a tax car in most markets. The diesel incentive in some markets, expressed in annual registration taxes are huge. In US the taxes on diesels are either more punitive in some states or not an incentive. If we had the same tax incentives, the sales mix and engine options would look very different. Even now, diesels are policy cars in the US market with makers trying to reach the minimum EPA MPG target in the horizon.

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-07-2015 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #15
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also in Europe diesel is a tax car in most markets. The diesel incentive in some markets, expressed in annual registration taxes are huge. In US the taxes on diesels are either more punitive in some states or not an incentive. If we had the same tax incentives, the sales mix would look very different. Even now, diesels are policy cars in the US market with makers trying to reach the minimum EPA MPG target in the horizon.
In North America, all incentives are focused around electric/hybrid at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

Quote:
All respect to Matt, but I think our friend Slammed has a point...
I had never paid attention to this before, but during the past 2 months that we have been struggling with the whole 35d and 35i...
I started delving into the type of cars I see in the streets...and a striking ratio of diesel X5's and MB SUV's that I saw here were astounding (a strong 60-70% ratio)...almost all MB's. I think, It will a matter of time that our streets will be crowded with GLE Coupe diesel... I have already seen a lot of them on the road. (not sure if their diesel variant is out yet?!)
Last week I was in Alberta and I must say the majority were 35i as gas is soooo cheap compared to our province.
But to me it was conclusive that diesel is a considerable market even for X6 to be considered diesel...I'm 100% sure BMW will reconsider once they see MB's success here.
I do the same thing around here in the US. Very few X5 Diesels. In our area maybe 10% or so. More MB models with Diesel, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #17
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedR8

It's the crash testing requirements in the US that makes is a business case ROI decision based on projected volumes, not development costs. Since it's a different configuration, it has to go through all the government testing - also the underlying reasons that manuals aren't offered in more models.
Appreciate 0