BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
jugdish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Screwed Up - Standard Instrument Cluster vs. Extended

Well.... My X5 came in and I checked it out today (Sunday) on the dealers lot. I noticed that the instrument cluster is not the partial digital cluster. After doing some research, I realized, today, that the extended instrument cluster is only included in the Driver Assistant Pkg with the HUD and Rear View Camera. Had my SA told me this, I would have spent the additional $1k for the package (ordered the rear view cam accessory for $400) even though I will never use the HUD.

My question is to those that have the standard instrument cluster.... Are you happy with it? My issue is that I think it makes the dash look dated, in what otherwise is an excellent interior. At the end of the day, it's my fault for not reading the minutia of details within the sales brochure, but at the same time, why the hell does BMW have to make things so complicated with particular options?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Stunnaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 (F16)

Have you accepted the car yet? You can always refuse the car and have them build you another one for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnaz View Post
Have you accepted the car yet? You can always refuse the car and have them build you another one for whatever reason.
+1.

I sent jugdish a PM (other forum).
      06-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
ABE2(aw/sw)
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35d

"Even though I will never use the HUD". What?! have you seen it? you don't have to do anything, its right there on your face and it's beautiful. Im always checking the digital speed, I don't know, i like it and I will buy it again...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnaz View Post
He will lose that $1000 deposit, I bet.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Stunnaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlevelhell View Post
No, the deposit cannot be non-refundable, I think it's like a law or something. I refused my first build and had them build me a new X6 because I wanted to add on options.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlevelhell View Post

In the US, you won't lose the deposit if you have not accepted the car, and even if you have accepted the car and it is not what you want, the dealer will pay you full price for it. I have experienced this.

jugdish you think you won't use HUD but it will be extremely handy. In my order of practical use:

- Navigation route shows up in clear graphics on your windshield and you can have iDrive display something else and still see (and hear) instructions for your route

- You can scroll through media and radio stations on the screen

- In coming calls displayed on the screen

- Speed limit info on the screen (depending on if you have DA+ as well)

- Turn signal in HUD (with coding)

- Warning and alerts

I am hoping for a coding solution to be able to see outside temp and the clock on HUD by pushing the BC button on the turn signal lever Then it would be perfect.
      06-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

i agree the standard cluster looks dated. try and order another.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
jugdish
Private First Class
Rep

Wow.... I'm somewhat shocked at the responses! I sort of feel like an asshole refusing a vehicle based on the instrument cluster. That being said, it's a $70k car. I may try to negotiate the dealer installing the 6WB at dealer cost. I think that would be a fair compromise and wouldn't stick them with a vehicle to sell.....
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
fooit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d w/Mpkg

IMHO, HUD is one of those features that you use once and then you will get it in every car.
Just like rear view camera.
It's so easy to get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
Wow.... I'm somewhat shocked at the responses! I sort of feel like an asshole refusing a vehicle based on the instrument cluster. That being said, it's a $70k car. I may try to negotiate the dealer installing the 6WB at dealer cost. I think that would be a fair compromise and wouldn't stick them with a vehicle to sell.....
Unless it's a small dealer, I don't think that they would care that much if you didn't want the car. It doesn't seem like your build would be hard to sell. Depending on the deal you got, they might even be able to make more money off of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
Stunnaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I went through the same process when I decided I wanted a rebuild. I can tell you in my scenario, the car I originally built never even sat in the dealer's lot and was sold immediately. I tracked it on my dealer's website. In the end it doesn't really matter to the dealers. They have hundreds of cars sitting on the lot so you don't have to feel bad about reordering if you're not happy with this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Unless it's a small dealer, I don't think that they would care that much if you didn't want the car. It doesn't seem like your build would be hard to sell. Depending on the deal you got, they might even be able to make more money off of it.
Exactly. There is a market for these cars and they don't sit on the lot. They will refund your deposit.

jugdish Don't feel bad. They also want you to be happy with your purchase, and unless you are working with a lousy dealer they will make sure you get what you want.

Last edited by MattBianco; 06-28-2015 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d

What? So you're saying that you can just refuse delivery? Quite jealous. I would have never accepted my car if I had that option. Damn.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

OP, like Matt and others suggested refuse the delivery and order a new one.
It isn't uncommon at all. You are ordering a car because everything needs to be perfect to your liking. You as a customer needs to be satisfied Good luck on another 3 to 4 week wait
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

You better hurry as production will shut down in July... But also get ready for them to tell you that you signed off on the order and guilt trip you into keeping it. Just stick to your guns.

Also, when I ordered mine two weeks ago there was a restriction put on the MSport package and 20" 469M wheels... So keep that in mind if you had either option
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Take it from someone who had 6wb full LCD cluster on last car (f10), and has the basic cluster on the f15.

there is very little difference. you still get nav directions on the basic cluster. the main difference is the song names and call list when scrolling are not as wide (but there are not wide on the extended display as well so no difference for you).

you don't get the mode colors on either.

so what is the real difference? the lies in the bottom? its not worth it...
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
jugdish
Private First Class
Rep

akhter...

That's what I was looking for... I've never seen the basic cluster, so I didn't know what to expect. My main concern was that I was going to get the orange dot matrix display on the basic cluster vs. the extended display, sort of like a POS Infiniti display. I plan on keeping this car for 5-7 years, so I was a bit concerned (and pissed at the sales advisor). My guess is that the cluster will be updated in the next few years with improved resolution, so I don't want to waste money on jumping to the 6WB display. But.... if the dealer will give it to me at cost, depending on the price, I may take it.

Interestingly...... On other X5 forums, there are several owners telling me to keep the basic display as they prefer the "old style" comparing it to a Rolex..... And the new style to an Apple watch.

What I don't understand, is why BMW offers the full digital display oversea's and not in the US. Just doesn't make sense to me..... Let alone, why their SA's don't have their shit together on a $70k purchase.

Last edited by jugdish; 06-28-2015 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #19
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Here are good comparison pictures between them. The extended in my opinion just looks better.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=913641
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #20
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:

What I don't understand, is why BMW offers the full digital display oversea's and not in the US. Just doesn't make sense to me..... Let alone, why their SA's don't have their shit together on a $70k purchase.
The best explanation I have heard is that they may have an excess of inventory of the extended displays and are using the U.S. market to get rid of them?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #21
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The way I understand the question/explanation from jugdish is that he believes he is getting an all analog cluster, not a partially analog/digital cluster. AFAIK in the US market there is no all analog cluster, just 6WA and 6WB in F16. 6WA has a digital portion in the bottom.

If I am mistaken (because I had HUD in both the F15s I have owned), and there is an all analog display, then any recommendation for 6WB all digital is N/A as that option is not available. And, frankly, the 6WA with a digital bottom is quite useful.
      06-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #22
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
In the US, you won't lose the deposit if you have not accepted the car, and even if you have accepted the car and it is not what you want, the dealer will pay you full price for it. I have experienced this.

jugdish you think you won't use HUD but it will be extremely handy. In my order of practical use:

- Navigation route shows up in clear graphics on your windshield and you can have iDrive display something else and still see (and hear) instructions for your route

- You can scroll through media and radio stations on the screen

- In coming calls displayed on the screen

- Speed limit info on the screen (depending on if you have DA+ as well)

- Turn signal in HUD (with coding)

- Warning and alerts

I am hoping for a coding solution to be able to see outside temp and the clock on HUD by pushing the BC button on the turn signal lever Then it would be perfect.
Since most dealers are not corporate I wonder if that's the case everywhere? I was told my deposit was strictly non-refundable.
Appreciate 0