05-31-2015, 08:13 AM   #23
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
OK, thanks. Follow-up questions - on the bmwusa.com configurator, I don't see an Adaptive M supension option when i select M Sport package, i only see a $4500 Dynamic Handling Package. Also, does the M Sport package come with stiffer springs than the Luxury Line and X Line packages? Someone said that earlier but i don't think this is correct, i think they all come with the same spring setup?
Adaptive M is no longer listed on the Configurator, but the dealer can add it for $900 - very good value! This suspension sits 14mm lower than standard, but is very comfortable in eco pro, or comfort mode. It firms up nicely in sport and sport +.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #24
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Oh well...for what it's worth the car definitely seemed to roll less in turns and tighten up in sport and sport + than in comfort, even without the Adaptive M...guess it's all in my head. and still wondering if M Sport pack comes with different spring setup than X Line and Luxury line.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #25
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Ummm, if you know he's a dumbass, why would you do anything but laugh..? It's an SUV…….
God, don't say that over at Bimmerfest. Heads will explode. Didn't you get the memo? It's a sports car!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #26
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Oh well...for what it's worth the car definitely seemed to roll less in turns and tighten up in sport and sport + than in comfort, even without the Adaptive M...guess it's all in my head. and still wondering if M Sport pack comes with different spring setup than X Line and Luxury line.
If you look at the chart in the sticky thread, you'll notice that the Adaptive M doesn't get you much more in the way of sportiness than the stock F15 suspension. The real kicker is DHP, but $4500? No thanks. It's still an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #27
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

MSport line comes with standard suspension that also comes in Xline and Lux Line.
There are 3 different suspension upgrades..

2VM DDC +1 Axle air suspension - for all lines

2VF Adaptive M suspension - for Msport only ** Which is essentially the same as 2VM. But according to the attached chart 2VF is slightly sportier and comfortable.

ZDH Dynamic Handling Package - for all lines

Look at the chart for more info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlevelhell View Post
God, don't say that over at Bimmerfest. Heads will explode. Didn't you get the memo? It's a sports car!
My god why do you have to come over here and behave like a 3 year old? Stay at Bimmerfest....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #29
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

lowlevelhell , bimmerpost=informative, polite, more international, better designed website. Bimmerfest=mostly the same minus the polite, site has more content features and categorization, small business (which I like to support). I prefer it here by a wide margin as I can't stand the nonproductive verbal cross fire.
      05-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #30
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How come my Sales guy said it's a truck
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
How come my Sales guy said it's a truck
Obviously he read the brochure
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #32
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
My god why do you have to come over here and behave like a 3 year old? Stay at Bimmerfest....
Because you guys have cornered the market on being 3-year-olds at Bimmerfest. This is capitalism at work. Manifest destiny. Staking my claim. Go forth, young man, and build a nation.

I'll make you a deal. You and your pal Kittrell stay over there at BF and we'll only occasionally make fun of you here. Sound good? Great. It's a deal.

Just kidding. sort of...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:26 AM   #33
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you look at the chart in the sticky thread, you'll notice that the Adaptive M doesn't get you much more in the way of sportiness than the stock F15 suspension. The real kicker is DHP, but $4500? No thanks. It's still an SUV.
I can only guess, but they probably get a more comfortable ride with adaptive M by using dampers that start out softer and adjust firmer than standard. Spring rates may also be different. The M-Sport with adaptive M also sits 15mm lower than standard - my experience is a very comfortable ride for my wife, and a much more sporty ride when desired. I wish the steering could be adjusted independently of the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #34
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Obviously he read the brochure
It just crack me up when people refer to the F15 as a truck - possibly thy have F150 in mind
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2015, 10:36 AM   #35
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep

Quote:
It just crack me up when people refer to the F15 as a truck - possibly thy have F150 in mind
Yes, my wife likes to call it "the truck." Shows you what a youth spent in rich suburbia will do to you!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #36
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep

Quote:
I can only guess, but they probably get a more comfortable ride with adaptive M by using dampers that start out softer and adjust firmer than standard. Spring rates may also be different. The M-Sport with adaptive M also sits 15mm lower than standard - my experience is a very comfortable ride for my wife, and a much more sporty ride when desired. I wish the steering could be adjusted independently of the suspension.
Probably my biggest issue with the F15 is the steering lightness. I too wish I could keep sport-level steering firmness independent of the drive mode.

I do occasionally miss having my lumbar spine pulverized by the E70 sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #37
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Probably my biggest issue with the F15 is the steering lightness. I too wish I could keep sport-level steering firmness independent of the drive mode.

I do occasionally miss having my lumbar spine pulverized by the E70 sport suspension.
I test drove the Cayenne and the steering was "to die for"
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #38
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Can only configure it if you have DHP. When you have it, there is a configure sport option when you switch it to Sport mode. Without it, sport and sport + are both chassis and drivetrain and you don't get the 'configure sport.'
Hmm - I have an M-sport 35d without DHP and I can configure chassis only. I too like the firm steering and suspension without increased engine speed.
I forgot you could have the adaptive M without full DHP.. But as you said in your next post, need the adaptive to be able to configure...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #39
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteinMD View Post
My understanding is that compared with Sport mode, Sport+ does two things:
1) Enables launch control
2) Disables traction control

I believe that #2 seems to help with some of the understeer that I experience taking curves at highway speed in Sport mode. As far as I know, gear shifts and, therefore, fuel consumption should be the same in Sport and Sport+.
You use Sports+ when driving on the beach or sand as it disables traction control, otherwise it removes power from the spinning wheel and you come to a standstill on the beach. You would not use Sports+ on the freeway in the wet unless you re a better drive than the average person?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #40
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
You use Sports+ when driving on the beach or sand as it disables traction control, otherwise it removes power from the spinning wheel and you come to a standstill on the beach. You would not use Sports+ on the freeway in the wet unless you re a better drive than the average person?
And of course driving in snow or when you want to use launch control - otherwise it is better to leave in Sports for normal highway driving as disabling DSC is the main difference. There are no additional changes to suspension, steering or shift points between sports and sports +
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #41
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbar1 View Post
Makes total sense.

But I thought, sport mode gave you the best acceleration. Sport+ will allow you to peel out, right?
Don't think it goes any faster in sports mode, just revs more (to much IMO) other than that I don't notice the difference to be honest. Are we saying the acceleration is quicker is sports mode then?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #42
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6605paull View Post
Don't think it goes any faster in sports mode, just revs more (to much IMO) other than that I don't notice the difference to be honest. Are we saying the acceleration is quicker is sports mode then?
It changes the shift points in the transmission.
Appreciate 0