BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2016, 12:03 AM   #23
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Has anyone installed or seen or considered radiator guards? They do block some air flow but they are very common on BMW motorcycles, at least.
Found a way to cover the front bumper grills with a fiberglass insect screen. I placed the screen behind the grill so its not too obvious. Kinda tacky but im hoping itll save me the headache of cleaning the radiator after an extended road trip. Not sure if it'll affect the engine's operating temperature. I have a 6 hour road trip the end of this month. I'll let you guys know if it'll make a difference.

Last edited by Neuera09; 11-14-2016 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #24
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw305 View Post
What about resell value now?
Leasing from BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

This thread makes me have doubts about having changed my lower grilles to the m50d grilles that are open. All m-sport grills sold in the US are closed.

I am now thinking I should cover the right side grille as it has a cooling system radiator behind it. Since it is originally covered, I am thinking some kind of small pattern non corrosive mesh that can take a pebble. Any ideas r33RGSport ?

05-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
ano0oj
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
This thread makes me have doubts about having changed my lower grilles to the m50d grilles that are open. All m-sport grills sold in the US are closed.

I am now thinking I should cover the right side grille as it has a cooling system radiator behind it. Since it is originally covered, I am thinking some kind of small pattern non corrosive mesh that can take a pebble. Any ideas ?

It makes me wonder why BMW hasn't addressed this yet. Seems to be the most common problem among X5s
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #27
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post

I am now thinking I should cover the right side grille as it has a cooling system radiator behind it. Since it is originally covered, I am thinking some kind of small pattern non corrosive mesh that can take a pebble. Any ideas ?

Agree. Thought about going open on both sides also, but think I will stick with closed and just put on the m50d fins.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #28
ano0oj
Captain
Rep

Can my luck be THAT bad that I get this f-in malfunction TWICE within 50k miles?!

Car started shaking pretty badly today on the highway at speed, and gradually got worse ....my car is cursed yall. Thankfully was close by a BMW dealership at the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #29
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post
Can my luck be THAT bad that I get this f-in malfunction TWICE within 50k miles?!

Car started shaking pretty badly today on the highway at speed, and gradually got worse ....my car is cursed yall. Thankfully was close by a BMW dealership at the time.
Could be something as simple as old spark plugs (have they been changed yet?) or something causing a misfire. One misfire and the DMEs will put everything into shut down. I had the Racechip on my 50i but I would get misfires under acceleration which usually indicated my plugs need changed even at 30K miles. A non-tuned engine could do this too later in its life.

My tuned 335i would do this all the time until I installed fresh plugs, coils, and stuff like that...ran like hell afterwards though.
Appreciate 0