09-23-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Dynamic Light Spot (post retracted)

post retracted.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-23-2014 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: no longer valid.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

AFAIK, the fog lights are not involved in any anti-dazzle functions on the car.
The anti dazzle is driven by the camera in the windscreen by the rear view mirror. If it spots something ahead then it will dim the lights - putting them back on high beam again once the object is gone (assuming that the button on the indicator stalk has been pressed to turn this function on).
Cars in some regions (e.g. England) extend this functionality by moving the headlight beams around to create a dark area around the car in front - as opposed to just dipping the beams.

A second feature is the one you are referring to - known as pedestrian recognition with dynamic light spot. This system includes an infra red camera in the front kidney grill that looks out for heat sources when the headlights are on. If it sees a heat source, it is able to work out if it is an animal or human and, if that object seems like it is going to wander into the path of the car, turns on one or both of these dynamic light spot lights (the ones that are fitted instead of the fog lights) and tracks the object so that you can see it in the dark. Once the object is in the headlight range, the dynamic spot is turned off.
If you just replace the fog lights with these dynamic spots, you won't get any benefit as they work in conjunction with the infrared camera in the kidney grill. In fact, having this dynamic light spot option (as my car does) means that you don't have front fog light functionality at all - the two are mutually exclusive. On my dashboard, there isn't even a front fog light button.

I hope this helps. If you want me to capture some dashcam footage of these spots in action, I'll aim at a few pedestrians later and post the footage
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you @plob.

I overlooked it. It is for night vision as you correctly stated. I will delete the thread if I can.
      09-23-2014, 03:27 AM   #4
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

You should repost your OP here. Someone else might have the same question.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I think I got him into this mess.

I thought these were better ones, turns out they are non-led fog lamps. I remember seeing these in BMW X5 promo videos, but it looks like they are dynamic fogs, is that possible do they articulate?
      09-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I retrofitted this to my vehicle and then removed it. I lost the ability to run "normal" fogs.

Yes, they do articulate and will illuminate detected pedestrians/cyclists on the side of the road.

Not really my preference and actually got a few middle fingers from people.

Instead retrofitted traffic jam assistant, which is far more useful.
      09-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
I think I got him into this mess.
hahaha....wild goose chase for me last night. It took me a while to figure out these non-LEDs are actually the fog equivalents that go in the night vision package to http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/63/63_1483/" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.etk.cc/bm...3/63_1483/</a>

They are not LED but pack other technology. There may be a hardware/software hack in there if these lights are the only hardware for night vision (in addition to Driv Ass't Plus and ACC).