BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

XL Lemonade spill in rear...

My bf didn't want to put all the drinks in front with him and I ended up putting them in the back on the floor mat.

I turned to get out of chick fil a and the drinks turned upsidown and the lid on one of them popped open a dad you can see in the pic, it even reached my front mat.

I want to know if it will affect whatever is on the plastic? Or if there's the motor or something for he seats. There's a reason why it has openings all over the plastic.

I'm very upset! I left home and came to watch Interstellar. Once something spilled in one of my previous vehicle and the HORRIBLE smell never went away.
Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Without reps and warranties, I recommend:

- Flood the area with more water
- Soak up the water with heavy towels, by putting pressure on the towels.
- Repeat several times to get the sugar out until all you have left is wetness/dampness from water
- After the entire area is dry (1-2 days) sprinkle baking soda (generously cover), all over the spilled area and let it it sit there for a a couple of days.
- vacuum

There should be no sugar left, and no smell.

p.s. dump the bf (joke ends)
      11-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Without reps and warranties, I recommend:

- Flood the area with more water
- Soak up the water with a heavy towels, but putting pressure on it.
- Repeat several times to get the sugar out and all you have left is wetness from water
- After the entire area is dry sprinkle baking soda, generously, all over the spilled area and let it it sit there for a a couple of days.
- vacuum

There should be no sugar left, and no smell.

p.s. dump the bf (joke ends)
Thank you! I have a water cleaner vacuum and I'll use it when I get home. Il follow the steps, and I'll probably dump him.

NO ONE WILL EVER CARE FOR THINGS THAT ARENT THEIRS!!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

As long as you repeat the soaking until you get the sugar out, lemonade is not the worst smell.

The baking soda takes care of any smell. But getting the sugar out is more important.

The baking soda worked with a jar of pickled garlic (fluid leaked from the jar lid) in my friends Merc G. But it took 2-3 packets of baking soda and 2-3 weeks. You are in good shape. You could sill keep him !
      11-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
As long as you repeat the soaking until you get the sugar out, lemonade is not the worst smell.

The baking soda takes care of any smell. But getting the sugar out is more important.

The baking soda worked with a jar of pickled garlic fluid in my friends Merc G. But it took 2-3 packets of baking soda and 2-3 weeks. You are in good shape. You could sill keep him !
I didn't know about baking soda. I remember my 335 F30 smelled horrible because food spilled and that's the reason why I sold it. Always smelled like rotten. After 7 years, I might keep him... But away from my vehicle! Lol

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

This is why I don't bring food in my cars anymore, haha. When/if I do (rare), I take the bag of food, place it on my WeatherTech mat (in case oil decides to seep through), and keep it in place with my left leg until I get home. This has kept my car clean without issues. I also make sure to wipe the drinks with a wet tissue or towelette so nothing sticky from the drink gets into the cup holders. That's the worst because then everything you place in there gets sticky like your phone, keys, wallet, etc.

On a side note...why didn't you just put the drinks (I'm assuming only two if it was just you two together) in the back arm rest cup holders - they're quite sturdy.
      11-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

And now I am somehow unnecessarily inclined to shamefully expose my hygiene practices before all of you.

I stopped using deodorant / antiperspirant 12 years ago. A pinch of baking soda (something we ingest daily in baked goods) under each arm for a week, and then, switch to every other day will substantially reduce sweating and avoids all odor without introducing any new fragrance. Best of all, no heavy metals (aluminum) go in your body.

Ski season has your boots smelling funny after 10 days of skiing? Half a cup of baking powder in each boot Shake well. Leave in for a day or two.

Garlic pickle juice in your car? Read above.

Traveling, I am always ready to explain the white powder in a small jar amongst my toiletries.

I will stop before I embarrass myself anymore.
      11-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

LOL. I knew these forums were great for gems and pearls and tidbits on everything BMW & X5, but @MattBianco, you've taken it altogether to a brand new level!

Baking Soda. I gotta go get myself some of that ... stat!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@mikikuki7, @mattbianco explained the hard step. Sorry
With my experience on home carpet with my toddlers spilling milk, food, etc on the carpet, Little Green comes to the rescue. Once I used it on my Minivan and it works wonder.

@MattBianco, I have to try that baking soda instead of deodorant, read somewhere about aluminum into the body, especially armpit where it does effect your hormon.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Remember, for stains (if you spilled wine in your car, or mustard or maybe you are super fancy and you have caviar with your wine in you X5) Hydrogen Perixode helps remove stains and also eliminate immediate odors and follow up with baking soda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
And now I am somehow unnecessarily inclined to shamefully expose my hygiene practices before all of you.

I stopped using deodorant / antiperspirant 12 years ago. A pinch of baking soda (something we ingest daily in baked goods) under each arm for a week, and then, switch to every other day will substantially reduce sweating and avoids all odor without introducing any new fragrance. Best of all, no heavy metals (aluminum) go in your body.

Ski season has your boots smelling funny after 10 days of skiing? Half a cup of baking powder in each boot Shake well. Leave in for a day or two.

Garlic pickle juice in your car? Read above.

Traveling, I am always ready to explain the white powder in a small jar amongst my toiletries.

I will stop before I embarrass myself anymore.
Garlic pickle juice, part of every balanced and nutritional diet, where spillage is a common problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@mikikuki7, @mattbianco explained the hard step. Sorry
With my experience on home carpet with my toddlers spilling milk, food, etc on the carpet, Little Green comes to the rescue. Once I used it on my Minivan and it works wonder.

@MattBianco, I have to try that baking soda instead of deodorant, read somewhere about aluminum into the body, especially armpit where it does effect your hormon.
Without turning this into another conspiracy theory about how deodorants cause memory loss and how it is part of government plan to feed us spicy stinky food and force us to use deodorant to control , eventually cause irreparable memory loss and possibly amnesia, on the other hand the amount of metals that are in deodorant is probably same if not less than what you would be exposed to on daily basis... There is like a whole book worth of conversation in many threads all over web.

Up until now it was either sharp memory or stinking B.O., but wait, now you don't have to choose, keep your memory and live stink free with MattBianco's "Powder my Pitts". Just make sure don't get any vinegar in your armpits or wherever you have the baking soda, or you'll have one hell of a day. I use Baking Soda + Vinegar to remove mild clogging in my sinks, the bubbling is strangely satisfying to watch.

Arm and hammer fridge boxes also help absorb moisture that lingers in vehicles after damp days which causes odors.
      11-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #11
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

I'd just take it to a professional detailer and have it cleaned with proper car chemicals (i.e. KochChemie/etc.).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 01:58 AM   #12
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383
I'd just take it to a professional detailer and have it cleaned with proper car chemicals (i.e. KochChemie/etc.).
My question is if it will damage the electrical components under the plastic. The plastic has small openings and most of the liquid went in there.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikikuki7 View Post
My question is if it will damage the electrical components under the plastic. The plastic has small openings and most of the liquid went in there.
Open it up and see. No better way to learn more about your vehicle than be hands on .
      11-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #14
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikikuki7 View Post
Open it up and see. No better way to learn more about your vehicle than be hands on .
Lol, I will and I will also probably trade it in for an X6M. I hope my loan has decrease dramatically in one year lol.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #15
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

The title of the post reminded me of college dayz....
      11-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

LOL. Lets all agree to bury this thread
      11-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am surprised that lemonade has so much pulp.
      11-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

I agree with Opasha try to take it out, but may be hard as the seat rails maybe in the way. The vented holes indicates ventilation for heat dissipation. Try to get to dealer and asked SA.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This pic didn't post.

My interior smells like cheap dollar lemonade now. Not Napa leather anymore lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Wow, that looks nasty - I feel so bad for you, buddy. Time to invest in WeatherTech or BMW liners, my friend . At this point, I agree with @Armen383...only a detailer will be able to get your car looking/smelling remotely brand new. This is where you tell your boyfriend to pay up or buy you an X6M .

Last edited by opasha; 11-07-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #21
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am so nervous now... gotta place my order for liners, like yesterday...
That looks terrifying.

I am sure a decent retailed can easily remove that, spray, soak, rinse, repeat, and one of those super vacuums after spraying it with carpet cleaner. Good luck. Oh yeah and baking soda.
      11-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #22
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

FYI - the perforated grill underneath the seat is the subwoofer. Probably not a big deal, but not exactly an ideal lemonade storage device

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=65&fg=20

And floor ducts:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...07&hg=64&fg=05
Appreciate 0