BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-29-2015, 12:46 AM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

My 2015 Order....Did I miss anything important??

Hi guys

Been a BMW guy forever and this will be my first X5. Going to place my order on Monday and just wanted to make sure I got everything covered. Is there something I'm leaving out or something I should not get?

2015 xDrive 3.5i
Msport
Gloss Black Roof Rails
Adaptive M Suspension
Mineral White Metallic
Aluminum Hexagon Trim
Mocha Nappa Leather
Multi Contour Seats
Premium Package
Lighting Package
Driver Assistance Package
HK Stereo
Manual rear sunshade
Ceramic Controls

Few things I am still considering:

Surround View - Not sure if its worth it on the F15 based on the limited front camera angle. I mainly wanted it for instances where i'm pulling out of a tight driveway with cars on both sides so i can stick the front of the car out enough to peak 90 degrees on either side to see if theres any incoming cars. Seems like the camera angle for the front isn't wide enough to this since there aren't any cameras on the sides. I usually have cars blocking my view but this might not be an issue in the X5 which is much higher up giving me better visibility.

Soft Close Doors - I have this on my 550 now. I like them but sure if its worth the headache on the X5 with all these posts about the door popping open on its own with SCD. The doors on the X5 also seems easier to close than my F10 for some reason. I mainly got them so i don't wake up the kids when getting in and out of the car.

Enhanced USB - I heard this is a codeable feature??

Still on the fence between Alpine White or Mineral White. I love space grey but i've already had two F10's this color so looking for a change. I also had a AW 335 in the past which i also like. Seen Mineral white in person and its gorgeous but the one thing that worries me the most about is being able to match the color if I ever end up needing paint work. Can anyone comment about any paint matching issues they've had with Mineral white ?

Overall super excited about this X5. Let me know what you think about my build.

Thanks,
Alan
      03-29-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Hi guys

Been a BMW guy forever and this will be my first X5. Going to place my order on Monday and just wanted to make sure I got everything covered. Is there something I'm leaving out or something I should not get?

2015 xDrive 3.5i
Msport
Gloss Black Roof Rails
Adaptive M Suspension
Mineral White Metallic
Aluminum Hexagon Trim
Mocha Nappa Leather
Multi Contour Seats
Premium Package
Lighting Package
HK Stereo
Manual rear sunshade
Ceramic Controls

Few things I am still considering:

Surround View - Not sure if its worth it on the F15 based on the limited front camera angle. I mainly wanted it for instances where i'm pulling out of a tight driveway with cars on both sides so i can stick the front of the car out enough to peak 90 degrees on either side to see if theres any incoming cars. Seems like the camera angle for the front isn't wide enough to this since there aren't any cameras on the sides. I usually have cars blocking my view but this might not be an issue in the X5 which is much higher up giving me better visibility.

Soft Close Doors - I have this on my 550 now. I like them but sure if its worth the headache on the X5 with all these posts about the door popping open on its own with SCD. The doors on the X5 also seems easier to close than my F10 for some reason. I mainly got them so i don't wake up the kids when getting in and out of the car.

Enhanced USB - I heard this is a codeable feature??

Still on the fence between Alpine White or Mineral White. I love space grey but i've already had two F10's this color so looking for a change. I also had a AW 335 in the past which i also like. Seen Mineral white in person and its gorgeous but the one thing that worries me the most about is being able to match the color if I ever end up needing paint work. Can anyone comment about any paint matching issues they've had with Mineral white ?

Overall super excited about this X5. Let me know what you think about my build.

Thanks,
Alan
Can't see Winter Pack?
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2015, 12:58 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I purposely didn't add it because it seems like lot of people are having issues with the heated steering wheel which i don't care for and having heated rear seats is completely useless for me because I will have two baby seats back there for my kids.
      03-29-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I purposely didn't add it because it seems like lot of people are having issues with the heated steering wheel which i don't care for and having heated rear seats is completely useless for me because I will have two baby seats back there for my kids.
Haven't heard of any issues with the heated wheel. What's the issue?
I haven't experienced any problems with mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #5
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

DHP seems to be a must according to those who have it/ordered it. Sounds like it really transforms the handling. I definitely would've opted for it had I ordered vs buying a car from the lot.

As for Enhanced BT, yes, it can be *currently* coded, but since you're ordering, chances are that you won't be able to code anything due to the widely known/discussed issues with truncated CAFD files. So to be safe, I'd order it now.

If you need to swap something out in order to add DHP, I'd pick the Lighting Pkg. I have it and having all LEDs is cool, but the biggest reason for getting it is the headlights, which I do NOT like (as I've stated/whined about many times). Definitely not worth $1900 IMO.
      03-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #6
cretanu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M 5.0d

Wink Take the surround view and the DHP

I received my M50d last wednesday and I clearly recommend the surround view and the DHP. Also, the parking assistant is extremlly fun, and probably a good investment for your wife!!!
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 02:53 AM   #7
Stunnaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 (F16)

I'm still waiting on my X6, but I did not order any suspension-related options because we have a 2008 Mercedes S550 with ABC (active body control) that kept on needing expensive repairs.

Has anybody owned a German car with air suspension and never had problems with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 03:11 AM   #8
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90/E60/F10/F15/F16/F32/G11

DHP (in addition to M Adaptive you already have).

F15/16 with and without DHL are different cars. I would sacrifice nappa (take Dakota, it is just fine) for DHP.

Design-wise, I would also go for (a) dashboard in leather (b) any wood trim from Individual series (there is choice of two I think).

These make your car's interior look 33% more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 03:19 AM   #9
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshevtsov View Post

F15/16 with and without DHL are different cars. I would sacrifice nappa (take Dakota, it is just fine) for DHP.

Design-wise, I would also go for (a) dashboard in leather (b) any wood trim from Individual series (there is choice of two I think).

If he sacrifices nappa for Dakota, he will have to change from Mocha because Mocha Dakota cannot be ordered with Multi Contour seats. Also, he already has the leather dash included with the mocha nappa interior design package. To get DHP, the logical sacrifice might be the LED lighting package though he will still need to add $1500.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 03:24 AM   #10
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshevtsov View Post

If he sacrifices nappa for Dakota, he will have to change from Mocha because Mocha Dakota cannot be ordered with Multi Contour seats. Also, he already has the leather dash included with the mocha nappa interior design package. To get DHP, the logical sacrifice might be the LED lighting package though he will still need to add $1500.
Hmm, in Europe I could order multi contour with Dakota. Possibly, US configs are different.

But anyway, DHP is definitely worth 5% or a bit more to pay on top.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 04:17 AM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

If you can afford it, definitely upgrade to DHP as well. Surround View is worth it in my opinion. Like Doanster, mine was bought on the lot, and I regret that because I missed out on DHP and Surround View. Enhanced Bluetooth simply requires adding 6NS to your FA and VO Coding HU_NBT...that itself is not dead yet, and I'm not sure it will die anytime soon. However, if you want to be safe just in case and you will be using the enhanced bluetooth features quite often, then add it. I just find the cradle super annoying and removed it despite having the option - it kill storage space in my opinion. Other than that, you have a solid build .
      03-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Thanks everyone.

I keep thinking about DHP but its such an expensive option that I wish i could test drive back to back between two X5's with and without it. Knowing the type of driver I am and how all of my previous cars had either springs or coilovers i know i would appreciate the DHP but I feel like my msrp is already creeping pretty high for a 3.5. You just really have to draw the line at some point. Decisions decisions... Can someone point me in the right direction as to what torque vectoring actually is? People swear this is the main reason why DHP is so good.

The only reason why i'm getting the lighting package is for aesthetics really. I have them in my 550 and while they are very good, I would agree they are only marginally better than good HID system.

Opasha - been following all of your threads and a lot of it will come in handy if i decide to mod my X5. Its nice to not be the pioneer (the guinea pig lol) for once and I have a few of you guys on the forum to thank for that. Question for you - What exactly the the enhanced USB BT option actually enables the car/nav to do? I'm a iPhone user and i normally have a separate iPod that I just keep in the car.

Alan
      03-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Hey Alan l., as I mentioned to you on the other thread I have followed your build progress on your F10 535i and 550i from the suspension issues as well. Your modded BMW's have always been amazing! I look forward to you getting your F15 and can't wait until you start to mod them to your liking

When I was ordering mine a month ago I also struggled with getting the DHP and Adaptive M suspension. My previous E60 535i with sports package had a very aggressive suspension / dampers with ARS.. My previous E70 X5 had stock suspension and it totally sucked. I prefer a more sport oriented suspension ( hard and crisp ) versus soft and bouncy. I went with Adaptive M suspension and I can not be happier. I feel like I am back in my E60 535i with sports package again because Adaptive M gives the X5 a more solid and extra-firm feel in Sport and Sport+.

Regarding the surround view, I think with a vehicle of this size it would be a pretty good idea to get. Especially when trying to park in tight places. I would recommend getting the drivers assistance package plus to get all the other features active blind spot, speed limit info, and lane departure warning.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #14
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Here are the features of the enhanced BT

I don't have this feature either and I am still have to view the library via Bluetooth even though the attached says otherwise. The only thing I can't do is view text or emails on the idrive screen.. but I don't typically read my messages while driving so it is a pointless feature for me. I prefer stopping the car and reading my messages. Also You can hold the voice command for a few seconds longer and have Siri read them ( text and emails ) to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
BMWboy
There is No Chance Unless You Take One
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport

Heated Steering Wheel Issue

Regarding problems with the heated steering wheel, that has been among the problems my 2014 F15 has had. The issue was repaired and has not re-surfaced in the year since...

Last edited by BMWboy; 03-29-2015 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #16
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Thanks everyone.

I keep thinking about DHP but its such an expensive option that I wish i could test drive back to back between two X5's with and without it. Knowing the type of driver I am and how all of my previous cars had either springs or coilovers i know i would appreciate the DHP but I feel like my msrp is already creeping pretty high for a 3.5. You just really have to draw the line at some point. Decisions decisions... Can someone point me in the right direction as to what torque vectoring actually is? People swear this is the main reason why DHP is so good.

The only reason why i'm getting the lighting package is for aesthetics really. I have them in my 550 and while they are very good, I would agree they are only marginally better than good HID system.

Opasha - been following all of your threads and a lot of it will come in handy if i decide to mod my X5. Its nice to not be the pioneer (the guinea pig lol) for once and I have a few of you guys on the forum to thank for that. Question for you - What exactly the the enhanced USB BT option actually enables the car/nav to do? I'm a iPhone user and i normally have a separate iPod that I just keep in the car.

Alan
DHP is about two things: (1) active roll stabilisation and (2) torque vectoring.

To me stabilisation is No. 1, especially on uneven roads and in curves. On uneven roads all those jumps/bounces/vertical disturbances are minimised, and the ride becomes as refined as on a luxury sedan.

In curves, there is no body roll whatsoever, and the car is as agile as, for example, 4 series. Not only this is about driving emotions, but also about safety.

Re vectoring - this is quite simple. In curves, the torque is re-distributed to rear outer wheel, eliminating over- and understeering, so the car is neutral and has very precise and predicable trajectory.

Also, I read somewhere that DHP is somehow communicating with M Adapive steering. Better to google on this.

So is you want highest achievable comfort without sacrifice to sportiness, traction and agility, DHP is the way to go.

P.S. I have moved to F16 m50d with M adaptive+DHP after F15 30d with comfort. Going back in terms of suspension would be impossible - as I said earlier, this is just a a different world.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #17
cretanu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M 5.0d

Talking

I've just came from a trip in the mountains...the DHP is amazing compared with the stock I had on my previous E70. The car is driving on wires. You have the feeling that you can corner at any speed because the car remains neutral. You should invest in the suspension and ask the dealer for an extra discount!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #18
BMWboy
There is No Chance Unless You Take One
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport

Color Matching Mineral White

My X5 is mineral white - as was my 2011 750Li.

The 750Li (2 weeks old at the time) sustained damage to the passenger rear door and trunk caused by an idiot who actually merged their outside mirror into my car as they were entering the highway - after I had just let the car in front of them into my lane!

Anyway, the color matching from the repair was fine. And I'm a real fanatic about my cars' appearance...
      03-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Look at the survey results in my footnote. Winter package is amongst the trouble Options/packages.
      03-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #20
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Hey Alan l., as I mentioned to you on the other thread I have followed your build progress on your F10 535i and 550i from the suspension issues as well. Your modded BMW's have always been amazing! I look forward to you getting your F15 and can't wait until you start to mod them to your liking

When I was ordering mine a month ago I also struggled with getting the DHP and Adaptive M suspension. My previous E60 535i with sports package had a very aggressive suspension / dampers with ARS.. My previous E70 X5 had stock suspension and it totally sucked. I prefer a more sport oriented suspension ( hard and crisp ) versus soft and bouncy. I went with Adaptive M suspension and I can not be happier. I feel like I am back in my E60 535i with sports package again because Adaptive M gives the X5 a more solid and extra-firm feel in Sport and Sport+.

Regarding the surround view, I think with a vehicle of this size it would be a pretty good idea to get. Especially when trying to park in tight places. I would recommend getting the drivers assistance package plus to get all the other features active blind spot, speed limit info, and lane departure warning.

Good luck!
Alan, I've followed your posts and pictures as well, buddy . You have good taste in cars and mods. Honestly, Kzang gave the best info with chart. However, some stuff still needs to be coded in to fully take advantage of the 6NS regardless of whether you have it or not because it seems to hiccup a lot with factory settings from what I've noticed, read, and seen tested on everyone's vehicles European or US. I've listed these codes in the BMW Coding Thread at the bottom of the OP.

Regardless of whether you get it or not, I will gladly help you out in coding it or anything else you may need. I'm still doing my best on cracking down on some of these coding hiccups/obstacles.

Also, I have Mineral White and when the wrap was taken off, my driver side front and rear door handles were scratched. They have only single stage clear coat. BMW cheaped out big time instead of putting on full clear coat like the rest of the body. I think they did this on all tiny parts like the mirrors, door handles, etc. They will be more susceptible to damage, but the fix is easy with the paint. My friend Eddie wet sanded my door handles slightly, put on the OEM A96 Mineral White paint and put full clear coat on them (the single stage and full have no difference in terms of visual look but do in terms of protection). The handles look perfect in comparison to the rest of the body. Yes, tricolor will always be harder to match overall on the rest of the body, which is why if you have a big scratch on your rear bumper...most of the time you have to get the entire bumper redone to match the color in unison. I will take pics of my door handles when I get it back tomorrow or Tuesday for you to see if there is any difference or not.

Best of luck on your order. You can't go wrong with either color .
      03-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #21
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Cold weather package is a nice feature to have in the winter especially for the east coast, for me it is a must. The heated steering wheel is a good option to have in a cold day. Regardless, it is a beautiful car and you will enjoy it. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Finally placed my order with my buddy George Javier over at Rallye BMW. I had to get confirmation for my trade value for my 2014 550 before committing. I had various builds in mind but ultimately went with what I did based on how i used my 550 now etc...

2015 xDrive 3.5i
Msport
Gloss Black Roof Rails
Adaptive M Suspension
Mineral White Metallic
Aluminum Hexagon Trim
Mocha Nappa Design Leather
Multi Contour Seats
Premium Package
Lighting Package
Cold Weather Package
Harmon Kardon Stereo
Manual rear sunshade
Soft close doors
Spare tire

I swapped out the ceramic controls for the soft close doors since I figure the silver knobs would actually match my aluminum hexagon trim better. Plus I have ceramics now on my 550 and I have to wipe it down with a microfiber towel every time i drive due to fingerprints lol

I really wanted the DHP but i just couldn't justify a near 80K X5 3.5 no matter how much i tried. I wasn't willing to give up on any other options and i figured (hope) the M adaptive suspension is good enough.

Build is scheduled to start near the end of the month and i hope to have it by mid May. I will have some mods coming in while waiting for the truck to be built

Thanks to everyone who helped me decide on my order. X5 owners are very much like the guys over on the F10 side which is a great thing!

Alan