BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #1
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

X5 35i vs 35d

I was browsing the member's X5 orders and i see that there's a lot of folks that are ordering a lot of 35i's.
I test drove all the X5 models (except for hybrid) and don't understand why folks would prefer the gas models instead of the diesel.
I can understand if they want the 5.0, it sounds a bit better and is a bit faster but why the 35i over the 35d??
i found that the diesel is just as fast, sounds much better and the gas economy is unreal.
To me the diesel is a total no brainer.
Maybe i'm not seeing something?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
A diesel engine is less desirable in a vehicle used mostly for short trips. The diesel particulate filter may not have the opportunity to complete the regeneration cycle on short trips. Other problems may arise if a diesel engine rarely operates for an extended period.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Around Boston, diesel is a bit hard to find at neighborhood stations which is inconvenient.

I would disagree it sounds as good and is not as fast, down 45hp and 0.4 seconds to 60, but still fast.

Economy is good and towing is awesome and now it is only $700 more for diesel, was $3500 more when I looked at the e70 diesel.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

I almost pulled the trigger on a diesel E70. But when I looked up the insurance estimate the diesel came out more than a more expensive gas model.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
Ricsuaq
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
A diesel engine is less desirable in a vehicle used mostly for short trips. The diesel particulate filter may not have the opportunity to complete the regeneration cycle on short trips. Other problems may arise if a diesel engine rarely operates for an extended period.
How short is short? I have a diesel and sometimes I worry about this.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 12:38 AM   #6
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricsuaq View Post
I wouldnt worry. I do plenty of short trips. Ive got 100k on my E70 35d and its still going strong.

I think the OP is living in 1992.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:24 AM   #7
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaM View Post
i found that the diesel is just as fast, sounds much better and the gas economy is unreal.
Maybe i'm not seeing something?
I want to be helpful and not trying to come off as rude.

The diesel does not sound good. It sounds like a tractor. Not even a little appealing. Maybe they pump fake sound inside the car, like they do with your M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietangobravo View Post
Chill out haters.
I´m guessing you all have petrol cars.
I paid more than $140 000 for a car with an M badge on its engine and it sounds like shit. Utter and proper shit. If this is the only way to make it sound ok I´m in.

Yes, I regret not getting the 50i which was cheaper.

Is it as fast as a 35i? Not sure, but from your prespective, it might be. Coming from a F10 M5, a peppy 35d and a 35i probably seems the same.

Where I'm from, gas is fairly cheap and more accessible. 93 octane Premium cost me $2.30 per gallon today. Diesel is only accessible from select stations
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 05:45 AM   #8
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

The X5 35d has made me a diesel fan in a big way. It really shines on road trips, where you can go 700 or 800 miles between fill ups! I usually get 33-34 mpg at 75 mph.

There's no doubt the diesel offers a different driving experience than the gas engine. You immediately notice the shifts at a little over 4,000 rpm under hard acceleration. The thing is- the shifts are so quick and smooth that I stopped caring about the missing 2000 rpm soon after getting the car, especially with 8 ratios! The big torque throughout the rev range translates to relentlessly linear acceleration that's very satisfying. Where it really shines is on the highway when you need to pass someone - the power comes on smoothly and without drama. It's terrific.

As for the sound, for sure it doesn't sound like a gas straight six or V8. It's not a tractor motor, though. The only time you can hear what I'd call traditional diesel clatter is during cold starts on very cold days. The rest of the time you hardly notice it. Overall, the cabin is very quiet and the drivetrain is very smooth. The exhaust has a lower tone than the gas six, but passengers don't know it's a diesel unless I tell them. (I love telling them about it, too!)

I've had 7 BMWs since 1999. Five of them had gas sixes (everything from an E30 to a M235i) and I had an E90 M3 for 7 years. I always felt that BMW does a great job matching powertrains to the job at hand. For me, the diesel X5 is one of the best!
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #9
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
My understanding is that an occasional short trip should not present a problem for the diesel engine. One article I read suggested that a trip less than 20 minutes may be too short for the diesel engine to operate at best efficiency.

A longer period of driving up to 25 minutes after the engine reaches operating temperature may be necessary to complete diesel particulate filter regeneration. It may also be desirable for the diesel engine to regularly operate under significant load for a period of time that may not be achieved idling in stop and go traffic.

I live in a small town where short trips of less than 10 miles are the norm. My car may not be driven above 45 mph or for more than 15 miles for several weeks at a time. Under such conditions the engine rarely warms to the optimal operating temperature, particularly during winter months. While I am intrigued by a diesel engine for the occasional long trip of 500 miles or more, my driving pattern may be better suited to a hybrid like the BMW X5 40e.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
In our particular case my wife is the primary driver of the 2016 X5 35i M Sport. She puts on ~10,000 KM or 6,000 miles a year (picked it up in Sept 15 and we hit 5,000 KM or 3,000 miles). Most of her commutes are short (likes to shop, thinks of it as a recreational sport) with an occasional drive on the highway once every 2 weeks. Before making the decision my sales person recommended we stay with the 35i as he felt that there would be no benefit based on the KM's driven. The Manager of our Service Department who we know well also discouraged us from the Diesel for 2 reasons, not enough KM's and felt that the 35i has been a very reliable engine with lower repair costs. FYI, the optional MPPK only available on the 35i is awesome and enhances two things, performance and exhaust sound (Sports Mode).

Regardless of which way you go the F15 is exceptional. My wife came from an E70 4.8L and the refinements and enhancements of the F15 are absolutely exceptional. I'd say the 35i to be very fuel efficient but I guess that would be in comparing it to the 4.8L we had prior. Before the 20" RFT staggered snow tire setup and cold weather she was averaging ~ 11.5L / 100KM and now in these winter months we are about 13.5L / KM. Keep in mind that is my wife driving it and in Eco Mode. That changes when I drive it in Sports Mode...I on occasion am given the opportunity to drive it and when I do I always come home with a smile on my face with no regrets in what I purchased for her.

Good luck with your decision and regardless of which way you go you'll love driving the F15.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

The diesel motor sounds fantastic. Such a quiet motor that after a 100 mile drive with my father he was shocked when we pulled up at a diesel pump. "Wait...this is a DIESEL?" he said. The grunt of the motor is fantastic. I don't really know why people opt for the gasser except in the few instances listed here (short trips only or fuel availability). If you're a driver who goes a long way and wants the car to hustle off the line, the Diesel is for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

PS as far as the MPPK option...buy a Racechip and really make the gassers sulk

Last edited by lowlevelhell; 02-14-2016 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #13
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Never had a diesel and never drove one either to know because I had three BMW critics discouraging me from the get go, my brother, sales person and Service Advisor. It appears that the diesel is selling well but there seems to be more 35i's sold based on some of the stats I saw (I may be wrong).

I think an MPPK would be very satisfying providing both performance and sound (I guess that would be different vs the diesel) and a chip on top would give you more than enough get up and go if you felt the 35i was lacking it...something I may consider after the warranty.

Anyway, either way you go I can't see you being so disappointed. Go with the diesel if that's what your gut is telling you. You'll always regret not getting it and if gas prices go back to where they were a year ago than you'll feel that you made the right choice.

Last edited by X54TH; 02-14-2016 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #14
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Most cars in Europe are diesel. BMW sells more diesel than gas engines in Europe. Cold Scandinavia is almost all diesel. Most trips there are short...no issues.

The 35i far outperforms when accelerating from 50 mph to a higher speed. Until then diesel is neck to neck if not ahead. See my footnote for the comparison table.

If sourcing fuel is an issue, I would avoid diesel. If money is no issue, get the m50d, if available in your market.
      02-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #15
Longun 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 4.0D M sport

Quote:
I had an E70 3.0D for 4 years.

My commute to work takes about 2 minutes. (Not really a commute!!)

In the 4 years that I owned the car I had no problem at all with the engine. Yes I did long journeys, but some times I would go a couple of weeks with just short journeys and still no problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #16
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Most cars in Europe are diesel. BMW sells more diesel than gas engines in Europe. Cold Scandinavia is almost all diesel. Most trips there are short...no issues.
Diesel cars sale in Europe are driven in part by vehicle taxes based on CO2 emissions in some countries like Sweden and much higher fuel costs than in the US putting greater emphasis on fuel efficiency. Ratio of sales of petrol and diesel vehicles vary by country based on local preferences and incentives.

http://www.transportenvironment.org/...eden_FINAL.pdf

Note that engine block heaters are much more common in Scandinavia than in the US. The preheated diesel engine changes the operational conditions particularly on short trips.

I have friends living in Sweden. Most of them commute and shop regularly on public transportation. Many do not even own a car but might rent a car or use ride share when needed. Not sure that I agree that most car trips are shorter there than in the US.

Because of the differences, I question if the diesel experience in Scandinavia is particularly informative in this case.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

These threads pop up every few months and it's the same crap each time with diesels vs gas. Do your own research and pick the engine you prefer simple as that.
      02-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #18
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post

The diesel does not sound good. It sounds like a tractor. Not even a little appealing. Maybe they pump fake sound inside the car, like they do with your M5.

Is it as fast as a 35i? Not sure, but from your prespective, it might be. Coming from a F10 M5, a peppy 35d and a 35i probably seems the same.

Where I'm from, gas is fairly cheap and more accessible. 93 octane Premium cost me $2.30 per gallon today. Diesel is only accessible from select stations
Did you drive both SUV's before you commented? I did and can tell you that from the inside the diesel sounds much better than gas. from the outside at idle of course it sounds like a diesel but that's probably the only thing bad you can say about the 35d. I drove both trucks back to back (own the previous generation 35i) and currently own a 35d and hands down the diesel is a no brainer.
you don't get it. even if gas is about the same cost as diesel, you can do almost double the milage with the 35d. that's considerable savings, why should you spend double on gas when the 35i doesn't give you anything more than spending more money for nothing.

as for my M5, if i rev it it will probably blow the doors off your car and you'll turn deaf so please don't comment on stuff you have no idea about. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaM View Post
Did you drive both SUV's before you commented? I did and can tell you that from the inside the diesel sounds much better than gas. from the outside at idle of course it sounds like a diesel but that's probably the only thing bad you can say about the 35d. I drove both trucks back to back (own the previous generation 35i) and currently own a 35d and hands down the diesel is a no brainer.
you don't get it. even if gas is about the same cost as diesel, you can do almost double the milage with the 35d. that's considerable savings, why should you spend double on gas when the 35i doesn't give you anything more than spending more money for nothing.

as for my M5, if i rev it it will probably blow the doors off your car and you'll turn deaf so please don't comment on stuff you have no idea about. thanks.
You ask a question, someone reply with their opinion and you respond like a high school kid... nice.

1. Diesel is slower than 35i in the 0-60 mph sprints. Adding MPPK tune will just kill the 35d.
2. Diesel fuel smells like shit..
3. 35i exhaust note sound better than the 35d
4. I didn't purchase a 4.5K - 5K Lbs SUV to worry about fuel economy? If fuel consumption was on the top of my list, I would have gotten a prius, or some other hybrid small car.. unfortunately high mileage range and conserving fuel is not something I am interested in.
5. MPPK and more importantly MPE is not available on the 35d in the US.
6. Drive the engine type you want to drive and stop worrying about others.
      02-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #20
geroz1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post

I had 2014 VW Touareg r-line TDI before me x5 35i and while it had countless amounts of torque it didn't sound as good as the 35i turbo. Specially those cold days when you turn on the 35i and it just sings lol.

Also, I hated staying on line with all the trucks for the diesel pumps while gas pumps were free. There are some parkways around New York that have only gas so it was scarce too. But yeah gas mileage is hard to beat. Given gas prices these days it's hard for me to justify the extra cost... Also - did you google dieselgate?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #21
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
You ask a question, someone reply with their opinion and you respond like a high school kid... nice.

1. Diesel is slower than 35i in the 0-60 mph sprints. Adding MPPK tune will just kill the 35d.
2. Diesel fuel smells like shit..
3. 35i exhaust note sound better than the 35d
4. I didn't purchase a 4.5K - 5K Lbs SUV to worry about fuel economy? If fuel consumption was on the top of my list, I would have gotten a prius, or some other hybrid small car.. unfortunately high mileage range and conserving fuel is not something I am interested in.
5. MPPK and more importantly MPE is not available on the 35d in the US.
6. Drive the engine type you want to drive and stop worrying about others.
1) It's nice that you give us your opinion but, what i'm telling you is that I drove (and owned) both versions (35i and 35d) and i can tell you the acceleration/speed is totally UN-noticeable. I can tell you that the torque of the 35d and the lower grunt of the engine is much much better than 35i even if the numbers show that the 35i might be slightly faster.
2) the diesel doesn't have any smell whatsoever, i know because sometimes i start it up briefly with my garage door closed and I don't smell a thing!
3) totally disagree, at least not from inside. engine note from inside sounds like crap on 35i (compared to 35d).
4) This is the big difference, if you want to pay double for gas, then that's your prerogative. But for me i rather get the extra $250/month in my pocket. Why should i burn it for absolutely no reason.
5) Don't need any additional power, i think they are plenty powerful just as they come. More power will dig in your pockets even more for gas. aren't you fedup of throwing your money out the window already? it's not about having money or not, it's about burning it for no reason.
6) I don't worry about anyone. Well that's not entirely true, i worry about you a little bit but that's another story (if you're gonna call me a kid, i'll act like one). I just wanted to get the opinion of some members to see why they made the choice that they did. but thanks for giving yours though.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #22
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroz1 View Post
I had 2014 VW Touareg r-line TDI before me x5 35i and while it had countless amounts of torque it didn't sound as good as the 35i turbo. Specially those cold days when you turn on the 35i and it just sings lol.

Also, I hated staying on line with all the trucks for the diesel pumps while gas pumps were free. There are some parkways around New York that have only gas so it was scarce too. But yeah gas mileage is hard to beat. Given gas prices these days it's hard for me to justify the extra cost... Also - did you google dieselgate?
sounds good. personally i don't have any problems at all where I live to find diesel. sometimes when i do long trips to NYC (drove to florida last summer - from Montreal) i did get some issues being behind a little lineup but my range is so long, i can take the time that i want and stop to the gas station i want, it's not such a issue (at least not for me). as for the sound, i guess to each his own, i find that from the inside the 35d sounds much better and the power delivery (and torque) is so much smoother. from the outside it might be a different story, i'll take your word for it.
Appreciate 0