Explicit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Germany & Japan

F15 M50d - AC Schnitzer springs 21" wheels

HI guys,

First time posting in this section.

About to purchase an X5 M50d for the wife and was interested to see if anyone had installed the ac schnitzer springs.

Unsure of the US market but the 50d comes fully loaded in Australia (and so it should given the price point). As far as I'm aware it has the adaptive suspension.

I'm also toying with the idea of upgrading to the 21" M performance wheels. Given the vehicle is predominately an urban runabout, a lower stance and bigger wheels appeals to the tuner inside :-)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jme
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
HI guys,

First time posting in this section.

About to purchase an X5 M50d for the wife and was interested to see if anyone had installed the ac schnitzer springs.

Unsure of the US market but the 50d comes fully loaded in Australia (and so it should given the price point). As far as I'm aware it has the adaptive suspension.

I'm also toying with the idea of upgrading to the 21" M performance wheels. Given the vehicle is predominately an urban runabout, a lower stance and bigger wheels appeals to the tuner inside :-)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jme

If you lower the car and especially if you put on the 21”s the car is going to look like a minivan, not a cool look for the x5 in mine opinion, search the forum and you will find pictures. The 21” 310 are really nice!
      11-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Nice purchase, and sorry about heavy taxes making all cars expensive there. Two for one price here, for you.

Presume it would look like this http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/ac-...mw-x5-f15.html Looks to be a lowered about an inch in the front and less in the back: "lowers the body by 30 mm (front) and 20 mm (rear), and a choice of 20-, 21- and 22-inch wheels available in different styles and colors."

That looks good to my eyes.
      11-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@Explicit, check out my thread on the mods. I lower my car with my own spring combo by H&R since mine is non self-leveling and no one make it.
In your case, I believe fully loaded M50d should comes with self-leveling, that would makes it much easier. The economical way, go with H&R springs. It lowers the same as the ACS kit, but about half the price.
Here is the link of my mods thread. Also, let me know if I can assist you in obtaining the spring. (H&R or ACS, good a good hook up on both )
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=173
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

1) M50d comes with self-leveling suspension, so ACS will supply you with only 2 springs for the front - the rear must be re-programmed for an equivalent drop in ride height.
2) If you want to go for the 21" - go for it, but don't try to turn an SUV into a low-rider. Neither M50d nor the X5M will ever handle like a sedan/coupe - you can't fool physics. And in all honesty - a lowered SUV looks just plain stupid. It's like buying a very warm jacket for a cold winter and chopping the sleeves off.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

If you want to lower the car for better handling on the road, that's not a bad idea. But throwing big wheels on it just cancels the handling benefit of lowering. If you're going for the hey-I-have-really-big-wheels-on-my-suv look, have at it.
      11-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@Armen383, please watch the word. You can be against it, but you don't need to call people stupid just because they like to pretty up the car.
Again, I mentioned it somewhere, if you want to buy a real SUV/AWD, there other route. BMW is not it. I lowered my X5 and I put on 22" wheels, but I probably the only one that drive the X5 off road (not gravel, but to the track).
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@Armen383, please watch the word. You can be against it, but you don't need to call people stupid just because they like to pretty up the car.
I didn't call people lowering their SUVs stupid - I said the SUV itself looks stupid that way - or, to use synonyms - tedious and absurd. That is my opinion obviously, no one forces the other side to agree with it. I'm not the kind of person calling someone else stupid just because they have a different taste. Peace
Appreciate 0