BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #23
dagwoodnil
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2017 M2 MGM MT

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2009 BMW Z4 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
If I had a dark color I would not bother with painting.

UPDATE: flaps are off and getting repainted. They did a good job of protecting the car, but the paint was not adhering well to the textured plastic (which was sanded smooth). They are trying agin.
Hi Matt,

Do you still have the front flaps on?
How has the paint hold up on the flaps?

My body shop told me it can't be painted.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #24
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwoodnil
....Do you still have the front flaps on?
How has the paint hold up on the flaps?
My body shop told me it can't be painted.....
dagwoodnil Paint has held up very well on the front. I am traveling and can't send photos for two weeks or I would.

Body shop contacted DuPont rep and was told how to prep the surface, which included sanding as the flaps are textured. I know they also applied an acid/vinegar of some sort before priming. That's all I know.

Last edited by MattBianco; 04-25-2016 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:01 PM   #25
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Mine did not hold up. Body shop said they were going to prep them, but I don't even think they wiped them down. Paint peeled off over the winter. I knew I should have prepped them myself before taking them in.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #26
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
dagwoodnil Paint has held up very well on the front. I am traveling and can't send photos for two weeks or I would.

Body shop contacted DuPont rep and was told how to prep the surface, which included sanding as the flaps are textured. I know they also applied an acid/vinegar of some sort before priming. That's all I know.
Matt, who is your contact at Miracle. I want my fender flares painted (Xline trim). My dealer is telling me I have to order a different flare (smooth v the glossy textured it came with). I want to see if the Miracle can do miracle. Thx
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:30 AM   #27
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
Matt, who is your contact at Miracle. I want my fender flares painted (Xline trim). My dealer is telling me I have to order a different flare (smooth v the glossy textured it came with). I want to see if the Miracle can do miracle. Thx
The owner. I can't recall the name, but I want to say James. Prior comments state, I know it took him a long time and he re-did the paint three times, and said it was too much work for him. Perhaps if you stop by and ask he will tell you the process even if he won't do it. He drives a blue corvette....very nice guy and works on many classic cars so he will be personable, friendly and not all business.
      04-26-2016, 02:33 AM   #28
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Mine did not hold up. Body shop said they were going to prep them, but I don't even think they wiped them down. Paint peeled off over the winter. I knew I should have prepped them myself before taking them in.
Mine went to Tahoe for 6-7 ski trips over two years, and withstood -19F for three nights in one trip, along with lots of sprinkled gravel and salt on the roads. It tells me it is more of a trade know how and less developed science for doing this. I must have gotten very lucky.
      12-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #29
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
I have a question for those that have done this. Do you have a large gap at the top of the front mud flap? See attached picture. Not only is there a gap, but when it is positioned as tight to the flare as it can be, it's still about 1/2" away from the mounting holes lining up.

The X was delivered with the optional 20" rims, however I purchased the 19" flaps. I thought the 20" flaps were a bit too large and I didn't like them. During the test fit, I didn't notice the gap, but now that they are painted and ready to be installed, it's obvious this is not going to work. Does an M-Sport with 19" rims have different wheel arch trim than an M-Sport with 20" rims? That's the only other explanation I can think of for why these don't fit...

06-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #30
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i

Copied from members on here. With the 22" wheels pushed out, I've gotten rock chips on the CF splitters. Got these for good price on eBay and painted them gloss back myself. What do you think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      06-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #31
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Looks good to me mainly because of the width of your rear wheels. I doubt OEM wheels could pull it off as well without serious spacers.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #32
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutF15 View Post
Copied from members on here. With the 22" wheels pushed out, I've gotten rock chips on the CF splitters. Got these for good price on eBay and painted them gloss back myself. What do you think?
Some people scoff at them, but particularly on a black car, I think they look great. As the OP stated, having a wide offset helps too.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #33
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Quote:
Some people scoff at them, but particularly on a black car, I think they look great. As the OP stated, having a wide offset helps too.
Yea true. The wheels made them look tiny still which is what I like. If they covered the wheel from looking at the rear, that wouldn't look good. I'm pleased. They can protect the carbon from rock chips.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      06-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #34
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea true. The wheels made them look tiny still which is what I like. If they covered the wheel from looking at the rear, that wouldn't look good. I'm pleased. They can protect the carbon from rock chips.
Works well for your set up and does not detract from how attractive it is 👍🏼. Wow, the wheels look great, but around here in the East Coast it would be bone jarring with the pot holes and constructions everywhere now!
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #35
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Works well for your set up and does not detract from how attractive it is 👍🏼. Wow, the wheels look great, but around here in the East Coast it would be bone jarring with the pot holes and constructions everywhere now!
Thank you sir! Man I hate potholes. They bent my rims on my previous suv, I had a Land Rover.
Appreciate 0