BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Digiwolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d M Sport

X5 40d M Sport and Security Measures

Hi BMW Fans –

I had my BMW 320d GT recently stolen, after my house was burgled and car keys taken. As the vehicle hasn't been found, I decided to upgrade to my new X5 40d M Sport.

However, after reading a barrage of articles claiming X5s are the most popular targeted vehicles by thieves, I am worried. The car has the standard alarm/immobiliser, and I am thinking about getting a tracker installed. Any thoughts? Which category of tracker should I go for, CAT 5 or 6? Realistically, besides the budget, what are their fundamental differences?

Also, the Police claimed that BMWs are vulnerable and traditional security measures should be used, such as steering wheel locks and gear stick locks. Do you agree? If yes, any recommendations for the X5 with M Wheel?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiwolf
Hi BMW Fans

I had my BMW 320d GT recently stolen, after my house was burgled and car keys taken. As the vehicle hasn't been found, I decided to upgrade to my new X5 40d M Sport.

However, after reading a barrage of articles claiming X5s are the most popular targeted vehicles by thieves, I am worried. The car has the standard alarm/immobiliser, and I am thinking about getting a tracker installed. Any thoughts? Which category of tracker should I go for, CAT 5 or 6? Realistically, besides the budget, what are their fundamental differences?

Also, the Police claimed that BMWs are vulnerable and traditional security measures should be used, such as steering wheel locks and gear stick locks. Do you agree? If yes, any recommendations for the X5 with M Wheel?

Many thanks!
Will PM you
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Watch the video clip (desktop version of the site) in this story: http://www.marinij.com//general-news...ensive-bicycle. That unlock and theft occurred in the town next to me.

Also, keep your key fob in your microwave or fridge) poor battery) http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/16...referrer=&_r=0
      06-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d

I would recommend SmartDNA. And use the stickers that come along with it.

In Sweden all new X5/X6 get trackers and SmartDNA before delivery since last summer. Insurance companies demand it here. Often see people using steering wheel locks on them anyway.

Edit:
Seems like the equivalent in the UK is Smartwater? https://shop.smartwater.com/vehicle.html

Last edited by charlietangobravo; 06-18-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:03 AM   #5
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiwolf View Post
Hi BMW Fans –

Many thanks!
digiwolff Hi and welcome! I have Tracker Locate on my F15 and had the same on the previous E70. Had no issues with Direct Line when insuring. They didn't insist on having it fitted but previously when I was with Avia it was conditional
Have read lots in the press about stealing both JLRs and Beemers with and without keys.
Personally I have never thought about anything other than the cars own security plus the Tracker as being sufficient - unless Direct Line say anything different I feel the risk must be low of it going AWOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I bought this small metal box to store my keys in at home. This will shield the keys from the signal used to hijack your car

http://www.amazon.com/Containers-Sto...al+storage+box
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
I bought this small metal box to store my keys in at home. This will shield the keys from the signal used to hijack your car

http://www.amazon.com/Containers-Sto...al+storage+box
I've been looking for a cast iron box for all the keys. Yours certainly looks big enough for one set.

Why not a tin of Altoids, the curiously strong mints ?
      06-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I haven't heard anything about the X5 being popular for stolen vehicles... is this specific to Europe?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

I also heard some stories that additional security systems have to be installed-but if insurance company accept what is in the car why to install something else, if the car will be stolen-it is not my problem.
Let the police will do the job and insurance company.
Appreciate 0