Macan Turbo 7 24.14%
X5 50i 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

01-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #23
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep
Drives: Wood Hauler

wow, you guys are way more vocal than the audi + macan forums combined!!

Ok, let me reiterate. I test drove the Macan Turbo, and it just reminded me of a E92 M3 on stilts. I test drove the SQ5 and realized it was slower than my current modified XC60 R.

I test drove the 50i, and REALLY liked the commanding presence it had. It reminds me of the GL550.

For reference, this is what I've owned:
2004 TL A-spec - Loved the way it looked, hated the lack of HP/$ to mod. (seriously N/A engine with a 11:1 compression already! and it was FWD). Secretly wished the E9xx 3er looked like the TL but had the 330xi engine instead lol.

2004 350Z Touring - this was to balance out having the TL. It had blindspots everywhere and a heavy ass. Never made it past having the TT kit delivered, couldn't find the energy to go through with it.

2009 E92 M3 - (loved the car, but was financially in a bad spot).

2010 EX35 - at the time, loved the size and "lifted" hatchback. Had aspirations to retrofit the TT kit from my old 350Z. At that time, it was the ONLY car of this size with 300HP. Blindspots galore, and sometimes it fit more than I imagined, but then other times I was cursing how small it was. Ultimately was unhappy with the lack of oomph from an already dated VQ35 engine.

2013 GT-R - first big promotion, went wild, impulse buy. plus it was updated to DBA platform. Blistering fast, ridiculously fast. definitely some fun times. After getting married, I have essentially stopped driving it, and even left it in NY when I moved to VA.

2013 XC60 R - again, in late 2012, this was the only SUV within a reasonable price range - 325HP, 354 lb tq. - with the current Heico ECU mod, I am looking at 375 HP and 450 lb tq. It is peppy, and it's space was actually very preferable. It was a snow warrior, and surprised more than a few people when its turbo surged me forward. But it wasn't sporty enough, even after I got a rear sway bar. I didn't want to add an aggressive suspension so i kept the air bags - overall it was ok, but i want more.

Got an amazing job offer, came down to NoVA, wife doesn't have to work. We've settled for about 5 months now, and I'm just incredibly dissatisfied with the XC60. It's inconsistent because it wasn't made to be what i've made it.

Fast forward 3 weeks ago. I thought I had it all figured out. The S7 goes 0-60 in 4.3ish, the APR tune was $2000 installed, and i would achieve 0-60 launches in 3.6 seconds all day. It was all wheel drive, and had 4 doors and a hatch. I was to the point of going with my wife to do one last check and to hand in my down payment for the first 2016 updated S7 in the area. She walked in and took one look at it and said I was out of my mind. She literally said she wanted to vomit when she looked at the car.

I see the Macan Turbo like a scalpel, it's sharp, it's small and will hurt the user if not careful. It's Ruthless, but if i found the EX35 small-ish with just me and her, what am i going to think with a 80 lb lab and the prospect of 1 or even 2 kids? I'd like to hang on for once to a car for a bit.

I like the X5 50i because it's like a meat cleaver, the N63 v8 will barrel through anything. And it is unusually stable. I literally felt like I was driving in the civilian version of batman's tumbler. I test drove the X5 after the wife's near vomit experience, and the parking lot had some ice patches and snow. The SA was nice enough to let me abuse it on the lot 88785 MSRP X5 50i all over the parking lot, and let me hammer it down the road in Sport+. Is it faster than the Macan Turbo? I will probably honestly never drive in a situation to see much of a difference. When it comes to barreling down the NJ tpke, the v8 will probably do better than the Macans V6. But it is dull, it is designed to be a blunt instrument and break bone, I am not doing a tracheostomy with it. - but I will use the cleaver in the kitchen more than the scapel, but clearly i will use the scapel more at work.

Other cars I have consistently driven (thanks to parents and close friends): - by consistent i mean taken each one for over 3500 miles.
GL550, S550, ML550 (actually every iteration of the ML430-550 in the last 6 generations), SLK55 AMG, SL63 AMG, E550, DB8, Continental GT, Escalade XLT, F430, Gallardo, GL63 AMG, Audi S4, RS4 and 911 Turbo.

There are others, but I had access to these fairly often. Of all the cars that stuck out like...just flat out surprised me? It was the GL550. Which I have considered, but it is even further from being sporty, and I really don't think I'm at the point of being "THAT GUY" who's driving a huge mini-van just not admitting it just yet.

This is the main reason I am so split, because the F15 really does remind me of how the GL drives and then some (also its more beautiful).

Then at the end of the day, this still is definitely not chump change, and BMW's maintenance free program is just so damn attractive. Especially if it's anything like the volvo 5 year safe and secure (everything is covered for 5 years or 50,000 miles except tires).

Yes, the Porsche is a Porsche. But after that, is that all? I mean is that enough? and honestly it's not a porsche. It's really a hill-billy E92 M3 lifted.

Also, there are days that I wonder if my allure for performance will ever go away, will i ever just want to enjoy a smooth ride? At which point, the Macan Turbo is not going to give that to me...ever.

I also have a hard time accepting that there is no HUD system with the Macan, but then also flip flop over the numerous defective issues that The X5 has had. (i know the macan has also had it's fair share, but doesn't seem as bad as the X5.)

I am still split 50/50
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #24
hugoyeg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i, 2015 X5 35d

Your car shopping choices are all over the map! Not being critical, it's a fun problem to have.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #25
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoyeg View Post
Your car shopping choices are all over the map! Not being critical, it's a fun problem to have.
honestly sometimes i just wish i didn't know any better. Then i'd just blindly go with the pack - whatever they pick wherever i am.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #26
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
Ok, let me reiterate. I test drove the Macan Turbo, and it just reminded me of a E92 M3 on stilts. I test drove the SQ5 and realized it was slower than my current modified XC60 R.

I test drove the 50i, and REALLY liked the commanding presence it had. It reminds me of the GL550.
Don't forget the SQ5 can get the APR chip which brings the 0-60 to 4.3 sec, and the Macan APR chip or GIAC will be ready soon, bumping it to 480-500 hp. Once they crack the code on this new 911 engine, GAME OVER
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #27
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
Don't forget the SQ5 can get the APR chip which brings the 0-60 to 4.3 sec, and the Macan APR chip or GIAC will be ready soon, bumping it to 480-500 hp. Once they crack the code on this new 911 engine, GAME OVER
That is true. But the SQ5 APR tune is Stage II (i have no idea if stage II is just a different map + pulley or other parts are involved.) - also, it requires e-98 i think. Otherwise it's just minimal gains, compared to the same Stage I upgrade in a C7 S6/S7.

I'm aware that they will chip the Macan APR, but i was under the impression it was heavily focused on the Macan S and not the Macan Turbo as four S models are sold for every 1 Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #28
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is true. But the SQ5 APR tune is Stage II (i have no idea if stage II is just a different map + pulley or other parts are involved.) - also, it requires e-98 i think. Otherwise it's just minimal gains, compared to the same Stage I upgrade in a C7 S6/S7.

I'm aware that they will chip the Macan APR, but i was under the impression it was heavily focused on the Macan S and not the Macan Turbo as four S models are sold for every 1 Turbo.
Yes the stage 1 is minimal. 93 octane gives you 403hp and 375 trq. Stage II with pulleys and 93 gives you 420 and 397, 100 Octance 445 and 403

Yeah they will def focus on the S first, but the turbo will not be forgotten about, trust me. You are still 50/50 up to this point....I know
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #29
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
Yes the stage 1 is minimal. 93 octane gives you 403hp and 375 trq. Stage II with pulleys and 93 gives you 420 and 397, 100 Octance 445 and 403

Yeah they will def focus on the S first, but the turbo will not be forgotten about, trust me. You are still 50/50 up to this point....I know
Well, the truth of the matter is, it may just boil down to who's gonna come down the most.

Rallye Group in NY has had my family as a customer for nearly 25 years, and they are pushing it hard. I just received an e-mail saying if I put the $1000 deposit, they would offer me $85000 flat including the 599 wheels.

Forwarding that e-mail to my SA here, seeing what he says. And to the P-dealership that has the Turbo.

Interestingly enough, the Porsche SA has been the most helpful. He know's his shit hardcore - and even as I've gone through this at one point even admitted maybe the X5 was better, but then thought about it a day and wrote me back a lengthy e-mail why I would enjoy the Macan Turbo more.

eitherway, I know I'll be happy with either one for different reasons. I'm gonna send the email and step away from it for a day and see how I feel. The polls have been interesting
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #30
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, the truth of the matter is, it may just boil down to who's gonna come down the most.

Rallye Group in NY has had my family as a customer for nearly 25 years, and they are pushing it hard. I just received an e-mail saying if I put the $1000 deposit, they would offer me $85000 flat including the 599 wheels.

Forwarding that e-mail to my SA here, seeing what he says. And to the P-dealership that has the Turbo.

Interestingly enough, the Porsche SA has been the most helpful. He know's his shit hardcore - and even as I've gone through this at one point even admitted maybe the X5 was better, but then thought about it a day and wrote me back a lengthy e-mail why I would enjoy the Macan Turbo more.

eitherway, I know I'll be happy with either one for different reasons. I'm gonna send the email and step away from it for a day and see how I feel. The polls have been interesting
Can we see the email or at least some of it, I'm interested to see the sales pitch, thanks. oh and by the way, we are having a BMW meet in Brooklyn if you're interested, this Sat at 8:30am-10am and next Sat, the 24th from 8am-11am. "Lots" of cars (10-20) plus maybe 2 exotics. See you there if you can make it.... http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076078
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #31
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Sounds to me at this point like you're more excited by the X5. You're spending a lot of money, my advice would be go with that feeling, don't split hairs over a few (relative) dollars or chasing the better deal, especially since you want to keep it longer term. The thrill of getting the best discount goes away a lot faster than the excitement and satisfaction the car will give you. Based on your car history, I'm assuming you already know that. But car shopping can make you crazy and lose sight of it lol
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #32
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

The 50i you drove didn't have DHP I'm guessing (most dealers don't because it's a p1 option - dealers can't have it because it's very costly to maintain). DHP will make a big difference in the handling. As chrisny said, you sound like you're leaning more towards the X5. Just do a final test drive between the two before you decide. Best of luck on your final decision .

Last edited by opasha; 01-13-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #33
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Or... or, do what I've always dreamed I would do when I can't make up my mind ... buy both!

.... but be prepared to be banished to the couch for an extended period of time, or worse, have the house locks changed by a very angry missus...

Just kidding. I've never had the testicular fortitude to do that - Her Majesty's wrath is not to be trifled with!
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #34
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Or... or, do what I've always dreamed I would do when I can't make up my mind ... buy both!

.... but be prepared to be banished to the couch for an extended period of time, or worse, have the house locks changed by a very angry missus...

Just kidding. I've never had the testicular fortitude to do that - Her Majesty's wrath is not to be trifled with!
LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #35
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

After consecutive testing and retesting - wife and I have decided on the 50i.

came down to S6, Macan Turbo, X5 50i as being the top 3. We went out and tested everything under the sun.

Since the last time I replied to the thread, we have re-driven/tested:
Jeep SRT Red Vapor, Range Rover Sport V8, Macan Turbo, S6, CPO E63 AMG 4Matic Wagon, and considered the limited run V60 Polestar.

Don't get me wrong, the E63AMG was amazing and was being sold @ $97k - but the wife just flat out hated the mercedes interior. her exact words "for a mercedes, I would've thought the nav screen and surrounding buttons would have looked nicer".

I was almost sold on V60 Polestar. It's exclusive, low to the ground, quite some pep, and really a great all rounder. Except...we test drove the Jeep SRT together, and we both knew, even though we didn't "need" the space, we wanted the space.

So Macan Turbo, while it was acceptable, it's just not going to give us more when we want it or need it. The Macan Turbo by far has been the best CUV i have ever driven, hands down.

In that same vein, she HATED the S7, thought it looked too hoity toity, and didn't care that the S6 was the same, at least it "looked like a sedan" to her. I was seriously thinking about that too, because with an APR Tune + pulley I could pull 0-60 in 3.6 seconds all day. But again, we couldn't forget the Jeep SRT's size.

Now, the biggest problem with the Jeep SRT? If you don't care about anything but performance, get it. But it was so unrefined, she literally had a migraine by the time we finished our test drive. She LOVED the launch control, and she drove it like she stole it when we test drove it. (For some reason, I don't know if it's because I show up with my wife, or what...but almost every dealer just makes me sign a waiver and lets me take the car out for an hour.) - The Jeep, even in track setting felt unsettled, and the whole thing just didn't feel put together very well.

So that brought us back to the 50i, knowing it will address my need for something less raucous and more linear in power (I currently have a Heico Tuned XC60 R-design @ 380HP 435 lb tq). I just couldn't really enjoy the tuned XC60...yes it peeled strong, but it was limited in it's programming and even with all that power and sticky tires, didn't pull anything better than a 4.7 0-60 with the tune. Also, I severely hated the inside of the Volvo, and craved a better MMI set up, better speakers (even though I had purchased the upgraded HK speakers), and just wanted a better experience over all.

Another thing that got me - was when I was installing the Heico exhaust and wiring the electronic flaps - i saw so many FOMOCO parts that I wanted to vomit. (I knew they shared things, but I had no idea just how much)

Lastly, I am a huge fan of the maintenance program, as my Volvo had it too - and I have to be perfectly honest, it has been a pleasure to only have to buy tires for the car.

I think the only thing I will definitely miss is the remote start. It has gotten me by so many cold mornings...but I think I will love the V8, and once I tune it, hopefully it breaks into the sub 4.5's.

Here is my build - SA has agreed to a price I feel comfortable with.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #36
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Awesome build and congrats, buddy! You'll love it! Get a tune, and you'll never look back with any regrets .
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #37
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Congrats. You made the best choice after all that.

How will the full build look....colors, options, packages?
      01-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #38
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Congrats. You made the best choice after all that.

How will the full build look....colors, options, packages?
His full build is posted, Niko .

01-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #39
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
His full build is posted, Niko .

Domo....mobile app cut it off. All clear now.
      01-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #40
batmanken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i Msport

can't wait to see pictures of this beast when it's all built!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:19 AM   #41
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your thorough selection process with us. Enjoy the car and do post pictures of your well equipped 50i when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #42
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your thorough selection process with us. Enjoy the car and do post pictures of your well equipped 50i when it arrives.
wow...so, wife and I went to finalize everything, and the dealer would just simply not budge, and also low balled me on my trade in.

We walked out - SA simply said, he has no incentive to help because my order is a custom order, and there is nothing to be made. So end of the month doesn't even apply.

My wife was so annoyed by the experience, we left.

Here's me shaking my head and trying to figure out what to do next.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #43
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
wow...so, wife and I went to finalize everything, and the dealer would just simply not budge, and also low balled me on my trade in.

We walked out - SA simply said, he has no incentive to help because my order is a custom order, and there is nothing to be made. So end of the month doesn't even apply.

My wife was so annoyed by the experience, we left.

Here's me shaking my head and trying to figure out what to do next.
Use a different dealer. Some dealers are just flat out terrible. We had a really bad/rude experience with one near us about 50 min away. We ended up driving almost 2 hours away to another dealer that gave us a much better deal.

If you can travel out of state, JMK in NJ I hear is fantastic. Hopefully some of our NY friends can help you on NY dealers they have used and gotten good deals with. Sorry for your bad experience.
      01-30-2015, 04:11 AM   #44
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Opasha is right. Some dealers are just terrible. You will definitely get another dealer in the NY/NJ area that can hit your desired number if it is aggressive but reasonable. Referrals are always great. I am sure a member or two on the forum will point you to an awesome dealer that will sort you out. For your trade in, there are always options. Best to get a quote from Car Max and use it as a benchmark and let the potential dealer you are buying from know that you recently appraised the car's value. Also, the trade-in conversation should only start after you have finalized on the all-in price for the car that includes discounts and incentives.

All the best.
Appreciate 1