02-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Mannimans
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 50i, E92 M3, E93 M3

macbook pro not playing audio through bluetooth

Hi

Not sure if anyone has tried this, but i tried playing a video on my macbook attempting to have audio playing via bluetooth.

The bluetooth connects, but does not play any audio. yes i have ensured the audio box is checked.

any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannimans View Post
Hi

Not sure if anyone has tried this, but i tried playing a video on my macbook attempting to have audio playing via bluetooth.

The bluetooth connects, but does not play any audio. yes i have ensured the audio box is checked.

any ideas?
Not sure if it will work, but you need to make sure when you're connected via your computer, that the computer knows to OUTPUT the sound (in sound profiles/settings) to the BLUETOOTH CAR SPEAKERS.
      02-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Mannimans
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 50i, E92 M3, E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Not sure if it will work, but you need to make sure when you're connected via your computer, that the computer knows to OUTPUT the sound (in sound profiles/settings) to the BLUETOOTH CAR SPEAKERS.
Thanks Opasha. Yes ensured that the output was also set to the car speakers. There was no audio playing from the laptop.

The only thing i can think of is that because it was in video format, may use a different type of codec that the idrive doesnt recognise?

I didnt try playing just audio (rather than video with audio) to see if that worked.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannimans View Post
Thanks Opasha. Yes ensured that the output was also set to the car speakers. There was no audio playing from the laptop.

The only thing i can think of is that because it was in video format, may use a different type of codec that the idrive doesnt recognise?

I didnt try playing just audio (rather than video with audio) to see if that worked.
Easiest way to make it work is to use an AUX cable from your storage compartment AUX input to your macbook pro headphone input. Not sure about what the issue could behind the sound settings of a laptop and the car.
      02-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

As opasha said......you have to make sure under System Preferences you have selected the output speaker as the BMW bluetooth. If it is not there, it won't work. If it works, it will be there on this screen as a bluetooth speaker.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 6.03.37 PM.png
Views: 517
Size:  59.8 KB
      02-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
My guess is that the BMW Bluetooth is looking for the "headset" profile vs generic bluetooth audio, so doesn't trigger the actual audio out.

You may need to find a way to have your laptop emulate a phone.... and I don't think you can manipulate the Apple bluetooth stack that way
Appreciate 0