BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
Rene_Fonck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW X5 35d

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV

Spent the last week driving our '14 X5d with 19" xLine OEM shoes clad with 2 year-old Hakka R2s through the deep snow of the North Cascades mountain range including multiple trips over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90.

Everyone else had to chain up to make it through the pass before shutdown, but not our X5.

Bravo Nokian & BMW!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Beautiful picture. Nice tire, generally Hakka's are tops. I have 18's Hakka R2 on my x3.
No snow yet this year. Hakka's in Toronto are a headache to get but I really wanted them.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I mention the tire in every thread I see about winter tires. Probably the best there is. They have a new retractable stud in the "8" line I believe -or due out soon.

Given the cost for my LX570 I went with the Blizzak's and they too are a good choice. Difference between the R2 or 7//8 Hakka's and Blizzak's were over $800 around me where no one stocks nor believe in (for mountains) anything other than M+S rated.

All you have to do is check out the dry (no ice or snow) stopping distance tests at low temps to understand "winter" rated tires are more than just snow tires.
      12-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I've always been a fan of blizzacks, but might have to try these out next set. I've never understood why people don't get or understand snow tires. I like the saying... all season tires=no season tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
thrasherlife
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 98 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I mention the tire in every thread I see about winter tires. Probably the best there is. They have a new retractable stud in the "8" line I believe -or due out soon.

Given the cost for my LX570 I went with the Blizzak's and they too are a good choice. Difference between the R2 or 7//8 Hakka's and Blizzak's were over $800 around me where no one stocks nor believe in (for mountains) anything other than M+S rated.

All you have to do is check out the dry (no ice or snow) stopping distance tests at low temps to understand "winter" rated tires are more than just snow tires.
Are you running winter rated tires for the whole "winter" in the Bay Area or are you only fitting them when heading up to the snow? Curious how winter tires will handle the fact that most of the time it's above 50* around the bay area.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherlife
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post

Are you running winter rated tires for the whole "winter" in the Bay Area or are you only fitting them when heading up to the snow? Curious how winter tires will handle the fact that most of the time it's above 50* around the bay area.
I put them on before the first ski trip. . I take them off at the end of the ski season. The downside is that they wear out faster when it warms up. The upside is far superior stopping and traction. The video below also dispels the myth that all terrain tires are good in the cold. All those people with monster wheels are only fooling themselves. In fact, two weeks ago a monster Ram truck was struck next to us at Squaw in the parking lot.

Take precaution if taking winter tires to a hot climate and driving at high speeds and/orfor long durations. Otherwise the only downside is faster wear.