11-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

Head-up and speed limit pre-order Q

Gentlemen,

Before i order (in Europe) and make a mistake, quick question here. I ordered head-up display, but does this mean I can skip Speed-limit info option? Or if i won't order it, i won't have speed limit sign info on my head-up?

thanks for your comments.
      11-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by antah
Gentlemen,

Before i order (in Europe) and make a mistake, quick question here. I ordered head-up display, but does this mean I can skip Speed-limit info option? Or if i won't order it, i won't have speed limit sign info on my head-up?

thanks for your comments.
Correct. If you do not order speed limit info you will not have the sign on heads up display or below dials. Dials will be extended info if you order hud but also without speed limit info. If you order speed limit info you can choose to display it on hud, or under the dials or on both locations.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Correct. If you do not order speed limit info you will not have the sign on heads up display or below dials. Dials will be extended info if you order hud but also without speed limit info. If you order speed limit info you can choose to display it on hud, or under the dials or on both locations.
Cheers! thank you for your help. I was very close to a big mistake..
      11-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

you wont regret ordering ..... its great !!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

If you have the speed limit info, you can choose to see in on the HUD and/or dash or not at all.

I have it off all the time but if I am somewhere unfamiliar, a push of the button on the turn signal stalk, and it comes on.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
you wont regret ordering ..... its great !!
I have it on my current F30 and love it! Just wasn't sure if I need order both or just head-up would be enough. No it's clear. Thanks everybody.
      11-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

It is market specific. In the US, if have Heads Up, you will have speed limit info. However, in iDrive you can choose not to display the info on the windshield.

The key benefits of HUD in my opinion are:

• Seeing stations and music with the scroll button
• Great graphics when using navi, showing lane change requirements far better/simpler than the iDrive screen, for instance.
• showing name of the incoming call, and been able to scroll through recent calls
• speed limit info
• seeing turn signals in HUD (coding required)
• seeing lane departure guide lines. Lowest on my list because I found it too busy and had it decoded

Overall, HUD changes the driving experience for the better. I wish you could use the BC button on the turn signal lever and see outside temp and the clock in HUD.

Last edited by MattBianco; 11-08-2015 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Alex S.
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep
Drives: X5, F15

The speed limit info means you get the actual speed limit on the road (limits due to construction, weather conditions, etc.). Your F15 scans the road signs on the road in live mode with the help of a front camera, which in itself is a very powerful feature in comparison with the static speed limit data built in your GPS navigator. It will save you from unexpected fines on the side roads, especially in Europe, where they constantly change the speed limits due to construction, etc.

Quite often you drive and have to guess the speed limit on secluded roads - Navi helps in this case, but if you got distracted reading tourist info/signs, etc. and missed the sign of 40 km/hr limit, the only chance to avoid fines is the use of the bmw speed limit scanned through the camera - always reliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #9
x5e70lover
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

just wondering if anyone has attempted to code this feature?