BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
tomix
Rep
Drives: BMW

X6 M50d or 40d M Sport with adaptive dynamic suspension

I know it is basicly an American forum, and you do not have to much disel BMW over there. Here in Europe disel is more common. I've been reading this forum for a while now and I respect your knowledge about BMW and I would like to know your opinion.
I started to build an X6 a month ago but I still could not make decision in the above question. Which one would give me more driving plesure? M50d with more power or 40d with that more advanced suspension. Ordering M50d you also get M servotronic steering... I could increase the power of 40d with a chip tuning of CPA PowerBox Nitro to almost 400 HP and 800 Nm of torque. This is the territory of M50d already.
The price advantage of 40d would allow me to have all extra equipment I'd like to. And I'd like a lot of them...
Please share with me your thoughts and opinion!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Do the 40d and just add the better DHP suspension and whatever goodies you want. That will make you happy without any regrets. The chip will def give you better power so you're close to the M50d (a cheap but great add-on). I'm quite positive every member on this forum that has the piggyback tunes feels a huge difference and would not be without a tune when compared to their stock configuration.

The M50d is great and it comes stock with M Adaptive Suspension, but DHP will outperform the M Adaptive any day when it comes to handling/comfort.
      02-21-2015, 04:29 AM   #3
jtd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

For M50d you can add DHP, and in M50d you have better M Performance specific steering, suspension, brakes, Dynamic Performance Control, Dynamic Drive and xDrive - if you buy 40d or 30d, 35i, 50i you will never get these M gadgets

"With its specific M Performance settings, the adaptive M suspension ensures that the characteristic agility of BMW X models is geared to even more sportiness. The Dynamic Damper Control and air cushioning on the rear axle are tuned to deliver exceptionally sporty driving characteristics and ensure precise, finely controlled handling properties.
The adaptive suspension package ‘Dynamic’ gives the BMW X6 M50d maximum agility, precision and lateral dynamics. M Performance specific Dynamic Performance Control and Dynamic Drive guarantee even more neutral steering to increase the grip of the road."

"xDrive
permanentes Allradsystem mit vollvariabler Drehmomentverteilung zwischen Vorder- und Hinterachse
M50d: mit M spezifischer, heckantriebsbetonter Auslegung"

Last edited by jtd; 02-21-2015 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
tomix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd View Post
For M50d you can add DHP, and in M50d you have better M Performance specific steering, suspension, brakes, Dynamic Performance Control, Dynamic Drive and xDrive - if you buy 40d or 30d, 35i, 50i you will never get these M gadgets

"With its specific M Performance settings, the adaptive M suspension ensures that the characteristic agility of BMW X models is geared to even more sportiness. The Dynamic Damper Control and air cushioning on the rear axle are tuned to deliver exceptionally sporty driving characteristics and ensure precise, finely controlled handling properties.
The adaptive suspension package ‘Dynamic’ gives the BMW X6 M50d maximum agility, precision and lateral dynamics. M Performance specific Dynamic Performance Control and Dynamic Drive guarantee even more neutral steering to increase the grip of the road."

"xDrive
permanentes Allradsystem mit vollvariabler Drehmomentverteilung zwischen Vorder- und Hinterachse
M50d: mit M spezifischer, heckantriebsbetonter Auslegung"

Where can I read about these M specific settings and options? I red the prospect and option list world by world but I found only difference in M servotronic steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
jtd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehic...-dynamics.html

The BMW X6 M50d benefits from the unique expertise of BMW M engineers, with a special, fine-tuned powertrain, suspension and design. The end result is an automobile that offers an exhilarating combination of sheer dynamism and comfort.

With its specific M Performance settings, the adaptive M suspension ensures that the characteristic agility of BMW X models is geared to even more sportiness. The Dynamic Damper Control and air cushioning on the rear axle are tuned to deliver exceptionally sporty driving characteristics and ensure precise, finely controlled handling properties.
The adaptive suspension package ‘Dynamic’ gives the BMW X6 M50d maximum agility, precision and lateral dynamics. M Performance specific Dynamic Performance Control and Dynamic Drive guarantee even more neutral steering to increase the grip of the road.

http://www.bmw.de/dam/brandBM/market...2287148927.pdf

xDrive
M50d: mit M spezifischer, heckantriebsbetonter Auslegung

and brakes from http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=994750
Front brakes: Twin-piston floating calliper disc brakes 385x36 inner-vented
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomix View Post
I know it is basicly an American forum,.... I could increase the power of 40d with a chip tuning of CPA PowerBox Nitro to almost 400 HP and 800 Nm of torque. This is the territory of M50d already.
The price advantage of 40d would allow me to have all extra equipment I'd like to. And I'd like a lot of them...
What a dilemma! A great problem to have, having to decide between the 40d and m50d

I'd say this is the most international of all the forums. Motor-talk is exclusively German language audience. Bimmerfest is the most "American". I have also seen smaller forums in the UK and SA (in my search for coding information)....I think you are in the right place.

I looked at the engine difference between the 6 cylinder diesel variants in my ongoing quest to determine how much chip boosting is too much. What I learned is that much of the engine components between the 30d/35d and 40d are the same exact part number (cam shaft, rings, pistons, etc,). And with that and my non-expert opinion I deduced one could safely chip the 30d/35d to 40d output levels. The 50d, however, has different hardware part numbers, and I suspect it gets more engineered alloys and components for the engine parts. As such, chipping a 40d to achieve 50d output could be too strenuous.

I have not checked the rest of the drivetrain, but I suspect some transmission pieces may also be different. My research was based on dtk.cc parts catalog where for each component you can click on "application" and see which models share that component.

I'd go 50d.

Also, look at the chip thread for 30d/35d. Virtually all of those companies sell the identical chip for the 40d: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1088491

Last edited by MattBianco; 02-22-2015 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

At the end of the day when you come to sell you would still only have a 40d and whilst a well-read petrol head may understand what your souped up 40d is, your average punter, I suspect, would not. With the 50d the punter knows what he is getting. As for the suspension my F16 M50d has the stock UK set-up and I think you would have to be a very experienced track driver to benefit from the upgrade. Also the ability to drive fast is very limited on normal roads and when I was back in the UK recently the motorway felt positively pedestrian at 80mph. Drive any faster in the UK and it's a risk. I venture into Germany and there it is fairly straight autobahns where you can drive fast and mine hasn't been found wanting and the suspension seems wholly appropriate. I take my hat off to you if you are skilled enough to need an upgrade on the stock M50d suspension for road use as I find myself easing off before it is way off the red line on the revs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
tomix
Rep

Thank you all for sharing opinion with me. I know M division does a very good work and they probably did with X6 M50d too. I do not have any experience, but according to my theoretical assumption no fine adjustment of a drivetrain can be as effective as one wich can share the power between the wheels. The limits of the car are wider and it handles better in a critical situation. Anyway it was good to read that you were promoting your X6 M50d so zealously. If I could afford it with all goodies I'd like I would not hesitate a moment...
Chip tunning may not be necessary. First fine of a speeding can cost you a lot in my home country and even a 40d is faster than my present daily driver F30 320 d and almost as fast as my wife's Z4 35i.
I have already got the list of goodies, but i still have to make a decision on the exterior and interior colour of the car. Now I have got black on black one but this time I'd like a colourful car. My choises are pyrite brown with black interior or black sapphire with criollo brown interior. Have you ever seen one of these individual colors in person?
Have a good drive, and thanx again!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I've seen both. Brown looks nice, but it is a fashion colour that was first available in the 70's, then went out of fashion until a few years ago. My Father had a metallic brown Opel in 1976! Black is always a safe bet, especially in a large car, but it is high maintenance. Silver ands grey are the best low maintenance and hide marks very well. Dark interiors make the inside gloomy, so you may need the sunroof to lighten it up. My X6 is black and red.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #10
tomix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
I've seen both. Brown looks nice, but it is a fashion colour that was first available in the 70's, then went out of fashion until a few years ago. My Father had a metallic brown Opel in 1976! Black is always a safe bet, especially in a large car, but it is high maintenance. Silver ands grey are the best low maintenance and hide marks very well. Dark interiors make the inside gloomy, so you may need the sunroof to lighten it up. My X6 is black and red.
I've seen the pictures of your BMW and I like it very much. Our Z4 has got the same color combo so I'd like somethig else now. All my cars were black so far so I know what are you talking about when saying it requires frequent cleaning.
In the configurator I see criollo a little bit redish. The dealer has got a very small piece of sample so I can't really decide. Is it readish in person too?
Appreciate 0