BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Found out when trying to replace a bolt from a set of Whisbars (the crossbars aka base support system) that I previously used on our F25 X3, they are no longer a fit on the BMW flush roof rails (for both F15 and F25, presumably for anything with BMW flush rails, but you can check Yakima's website to find out for sure). When I bought them in 2011, they were installed by a shop, using the appropriate fitting kit as was listed at that time. They've since stopped offering them, likely because of issues like I had, the bolt bottomed out by the time they were tight enough, and eventually snapped. Had that not happened, I wouldn't have known they no longer recommend/offer them for the flush bars and would have used these on our F15.

The only option they currently offer is using their "Q towers" that latch on inside the door frame. As I was not a fan of that setup, I picked up a set of Thule Aeroblade bars. Yakima is giving me a full refund despite the bars being 3 years old. Great customer service, I only wish they had a better alternative for the Whisbars (or that I could wait for it to come out, I'm sure they'll have one soon..).

Here's a look at the Thule's in matte black (no gloss black or I might have done that to match our roof rails). I prefer the look of the flush bars over the through-bars like these, but needed the extra space for bikes and cargo box up there at the same time, and the through bars can be used for other vehicles, since the pedestals can be moved in or out. I don't generally leave them on for more than a few weeks at a time anyway, just put them on when we need them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

I have exactly the same setup and find that it works very well. You do hear the bars a little when driving at highway speeds but if you close the sunroof "cover" the noise goes away. I also only put them on when needed to maintain decent fuel economy.

What length bars did you get, yours seem to stick out more than mine? I am almost using the full length of the bar with minimal overhang.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I noticed the same thing, just closing the shade is enough to block out the sound. I want to say they're just a little louder than the whisbars, but those were not as silent as they'd like you to believe. Definitely a lot quieter than most regular bars though. Screaming kids also drown out the noise just fine

I have the 53" bars, which the guy said were the recommended size for the car. They stick out just a touch past the roof, which means not enough to hit your head unless you leaned in quite awkwardly, as they don't stick out anywhere near as far as the furthest point of the body/doors of the car. I just checked Thule's website and that is the size that comes up in their fit guide as well. Looks like they also make them in 43, 47, and 60 inch sizes. I would imagine the 47" may just fit with no overhang at all (at that point, maybe the same size as the flush bars?).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal
I have exactly the same setup and find that it works very well. You do hear the bars a little when driving at highway speeds but if you close the sunroof "cover" the noise goes away. I also only put them on when needed to maintain decent fuel economy.

What length bars did you get, yours seem to stick out more than mine? I am almost using the full length of the bar with minimal overhang.
What size bars are yours? How much have you fit up there? I'm going to attempt a Thule Atlantis 1600 and 2 bikes on fork mounts. I'm told I could have fit 2 upright bike mounts (wheels on), but thought the fork mounts would be more secure and save a little space. I'm a little skeptical how even these are going to fit as it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
What size bars are yours? How much have you fit up there? I'm going to attempt a Thule Atlantis 1600 and 2 bikes on fork mounts. I'm told I could have fit 2 upright bike mounts (wheels on), but thought the fork mounts would be more secure and save a little space. I'm a little skeptical how even these are going to fit as it is.
Sorry, I lost track of this thread. I just checked and Ihave the 47" bars which fit just right. Probably 0.5" overhang on each side. I have a Thule Force XL on there for longer trips and camping but there is not much extra room left after this box goes on. If I pushed the box to one side I could probably fit 1 upright bike mount. I have a hitch with a 4 bike rack so that's what I use for bikes.

I'm 6' and and find that items in the roof box are hard to reach from the ground given that the vehicles is already on the tall side. I have to stand on the door step to really get a good look inside the roof box. If you end up putting a bike on either side of your roof box it will be a pain to get access to the box.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Anything wrong with these? $225 installed by the dealer. Minimal sound, which like yours, goes away with the pano roof shade fully drawn.

Stock photo, on the same exterior as mine (mineral silver). Mine getting work done but I can send close ups in a few days if anyone wants them.

Also available through Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Anything wrong with these? $225 installed by the dealer. Minimal sound, which like yours, goes away with the pano roof shade fully drawn.

Stock photo, on the same exterior as mine (mineral silver). Mine getting work done but I can send close ups in a few days if anyone wants them.

They look fine. For some reason I could not find these when I was looking for my roof rack in November of last year. Key for me was compatibility with other Thule components ie. ski rack, roof box, kayak rack, etc. Not sure if the BMW one is compatible but if it is go for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal View Post
They look fine. For some reason I could not find these when I was looking for my roof rack in November of last year. Key for me was compatibility with other Thule components ie. ski rack, roof box, kayak rack, etc. Not sure if the BMW one is compatible but if it is go for it.
I have the Thule ski rack and the 1800 cargo box. The BMW cross bar fits perfectly fine with both . I also believe they will work with the Yakima system......both systems merely need a basic cross bar to attach to.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post

My understanding is these are made by Thule, and are essentially the same as the flush bars I could have gotten. I needed the extra length, that's why I got the "through bars" that extend past the pedestals.

I was able to do a Thule Atlantis 1600 cargo box (medium size box) and one bike on the roof, but could easily have fit a second bike, if I had found a solution good enough for my son's 16" bike. I had bought a fork mount for it, but found out when trying to install that the fork mount is spread too far for his front fork to get around, so just made room in the cargo box for his. With the through bars, I could easily have fit both (there are wheel on mounts that supposedly can be used, but they're not really designed for that small of a bike and I didn't trust them). In terms of access, I just had the box on one side, all the way to almost the end of the bars, and the bike(s) on the other side. so while it limits your ability to get in the box on both sides (slight pain there), it also makes both the box and the bikes easier to get to on their respective sides, as opposed to just having the box itself centered on the roof. I could still load and unload the box from both sides when the bike wasn't up there, but it's that much further of a reach from the further side.. I'm 5'10, so on the X5, I'm stepping up into the car for most loading regardless.

Last edited by chrisny; 08-18-2014 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #10
Mathme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X530d

If you're not using the rack, make sure to take them off. My Thule rack on my old cayenne knocked 5 mpg off my highway cycle. It may not sound like much, but that's about $20 for every 500 our drive...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathme
If you're not using the rack, make sure to take them off. My Thule rack on my old cayenne knocked 5 mpg off my highway cycle. It may not sound like much, but that's about $20 for every 500 our drive...
Agreed. I only put mine on when I need to use the box or some of the other attachments. Got a system worked out and can get the roof rack and the box on the car in about 20min.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal View Post
Agreed. I only put mine on when I need to use the box or some of the other attachments. Got a system worked out and can get the roof rack and the box on the car in about 20min.
Same here. At most, I'll leave it on for a few weeks in between uses just to have a different look for a bit, or more likely, because I know I'll need them again soon. Now that I'll be using the rack for bike(s), I'll probably keep them on all summer with the bike racks, then take them off until Christmas time, for all of one day to pick up our tree lol. We drive mostly local with the X5, aside from vacations and day trips on occasion, so our gas mileage is pretty terrible already anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

the OEM BMW bars looks clunky, less aero dynamic.. and out of place versus the bars from the OP.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

OP, is this the Rapid Podium Foot Pack?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
OP, is this the Rapid Podium Foot Pack?
Yes, it is. They fit the flush rails much better than the Whisbars, clearly why Yakima stopped supporting the flush roof rails. I had to tighten those so much, bolt bottomed out and ultimately snapped. The Rapid Podiums are tighter to the flush roof rails to begin with, nice and snug. They also have an angled "claw" if you will to grab the rails instead of a more straight piece like the Whisbars.

Last edited by chrisny; 08-20-2014 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #16
GlenJr'sColonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d US Spec's

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Found out when trying to replace a bolt from a set of Whisbars (the crossbars aka base support system) that I previously used on our F25 X3, they are no longer a fit on the BMW flush roof rails (for both F15 and F25, presumably for anything with BMW flush rails, but you can check Yakima's website to find out for sure). When I bought them in 2011, they were installed by a shop, using the appropriate fitting kit as was listed at that time. They've since stopped offering them, likely because of issues like I had, the bolt bottomed out by the time they were tight enough, and eventually snapped. Had that not happened, I wouldn't have known they no longer recommend/offer them for the flush bars and would have used these on our F15.

The only option they currently offer is using their "Q towers" that latch on inside the door frame. As I was not a fan of that setup, I picked up a set of Thule Aeroblade bars. Yakima is giving me a full refund despite the bars being 3 years old. Great customer service, I only wish they had a better alternative for the Whisbars (or that I could wait for it to come out, I'm sure they'll have one soon..).

Here's a look at the Thule's in matte black (no gloss black or I might have done that to match our roof rails). I prefer the look of the flush bars over the through-bars like these, but needed the extra space for bikes and cargo box up there at the same time, and the through bars can be used for other vehicles, since the pedestals can be moved in or out. I don't generally leave them on for more than a few weeks at a time anyway, just put them on when we need them.
What foot packs do you have for those bars?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #17
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just cross linking these threads.....Photos & measurements of OEM crossbar with Thule box: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1073744
      02-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #18
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenJr'sColonel View Post
What foot packs do you have for those bars?
The Rapid Podiums. I believe there was only one option in terms of fit when using through bars. When I check Thule's website now, shows these, so presumably, this should be the same kit I have. I'd have to check my paperwork to say for sure but sounds right:

Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R, KIT4023
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #19
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport 40d 2017

Thule works perfect for me!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0