BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Rear bumper / Tailgate plate on ebay

My last X5 had a lot of scratches in this area, I am not sure if F15 improved the design but what do you guys think about something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-FOR-2014...-/311019049134

http://www.ebay.com/itm/stainless-st...5/271639173846
      11-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I think it solves a non existent problem as the lower hatch covers that area when it is pulled down. I could see how it would have some appeal to cars that have a whole lift gate that tilts up or swings out, but not for my favorite two SUVs: X5 and LX.
      11-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

I'd be concerned about just taping something to the rear bumper because it may come loose while driving. Every application for cars that come with an OEM option require drilling into the bumper. Plus I doubt that it'll prevent scratches because there will still be rubbing if there is already contact.

Will a clear bra (er, clear bumper bra) work?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I think it solves a non existent problem as the lower hatch covers that area when it is pulled down. I could see how it would have some appeal to cars that have a whole lift gate that tilts up or swings out, but not for my favorite two SUVs: X5 and LX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
I'd be concerned about just taping something to the rear bumper because it may come loose while driving. Every application for cars that come with an OEM option require drilling into the bumper. Plus I doubt that it'll prevent scratches because there will still be rubbing if there is already contact.

Will a clear bra (er, clear bumper bra) work?
Clear bar might work, but I think what we need something softer, although I will check to see if F15 lower door flips down that far, or if they fixed it in '15 vs '12, plus if it still comes down that far I think with this stainless steel plate it would then scratch the lower gate when it's opened, right?

Matt, I don't think this would come loose while driving.. 3M is a strong material and if it isn't some phoney 3M they are usually rated to hold hundreds of pounds per strip.