BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

||| Alan's F15 Mineral White Msport Modifications Thread ||| **Updates on Page 17**

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi everyone,

I figure its time to start a build thread over here now that my F15 X5 is in production which should be arriving in 2 weeks and also introduce myself to the F15 community

Those who know me will remember that I have been on the forums for a very long time. It all started out with my Orient Blue ACS'ed out supercharged E46 which was used as a show car for a few years to then follow up with a Alpine White Msport 335i. Final build thread here - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507257

With the addition of my daughter (who is now 2.5yo) I got rid of the 335i and into my first F10 535xi. You can find my build thread here - http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736447

Later i upgraded to my second F10 550i. Build thread located here - http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889187

Now that we are expecting our second child it is time to move over into the Suv world. I've always liked the X5 because of its chunky bull dog looking stance that it had with large wide wheels and I am glad to finally own one.

I am going to take the more OEM+ approach with the F15 this time around. BMW's are getting nicer and nicer straight from the factory especially in Msport trim that they don't need very much to really make them stand out imo. Modding is in my blood so no matter how much I try to convince myself that I will leave my next car stock it just doesn't seem to happen

Thanks to everyone on this forum you guys have already made it easier for me to in vision how I want my F15 to look like. Helped me figure out how to option out my F15 and also where to get what I want. Just like in the past I usually mod very fast so parts for the F15 already started arriving. I will continue to update this thread as more stuff comes in and eventually post up the F15 when it shows up!

Also a big shout out to my buddy George Javier over at Rallye BMW. This is my 4th BMW with him and each time he has gone above and beyond for me. I've referred friends and family to him and all of them share the same sentiment. Anyone looking for a new BMW don't hesitate to give him a call or shoot him an email at gjavier@rallyebmw.com He's also a member on Bimmerpost as - slalomfever

Regards,
Alan L.

My build
2015 xDrive 3.5i
Msport with MPPK Tune
Gloss Black Roof Rails
Adaptive M Suspension
Mineral White Metallic
Aluminum Hexagon Trim
Mocha Nappa Design Leather
Multi Contour Seats
Premium Package
Lighting Package
Driver Assistance Package
Cold Weather Package
Harmon Kardon Stereo
Manual rear sunshade
Soft close doors
Spare tire

My current build status

Box 1 of 2 from Tisher BMW!

Goodies from Ben at RGSport.com

Reflectors from IND

M Performance Diffuser

***** April 24th Update *****

Another update - My X5 is at the dealer!!!!!

MPPK installed and verified by the power meter screen going from 320/320 to show 400/400

Scheduled pickup tomorrow afternoon!

***** April 27th Update *****

Thanks guys. After i posted the question i found where that feature was on the drive to turn it on and off. It is annoying but like Taran said its good to know when the guy behind you is getting a tad too close to the bumper so i'll leave it on for now.

Another update. Did my first two mods today. I'm taking it easy so far figure i'll enjoy this nice weather with the new truck and the family instead of installing stuff. Still didn't stop me from putting these two little mods on though. Literally took me 15mins to do both. No need for betalink for the roof spoiler. I just added one more strip of 3M VHB tape to it to give it extra support...that thing isn't coming off unless the paint comes off with it.

A pic for those that want to know where all the tabs are exactly..... (it helps going it with the engine hot and on a sunny warm day)

Nice little badge that comes with the MPPK tune...

***** April 29th Update *****

Another update.

Spent the entire day working on the X5

Tinted the front windows 30%
Painted the brake calipers gloss black all around
Installed the BMW Performance CF rear Diffuser
Installed the BMW Performance CF rear Flaps
Installed the BMW Performance CF front Lip
Installed IND Color matched front Reflector
Installed M50D Silver Grill Blades along with open grills on both sides

This took the entire day and doing those reflectors along with the open lower grills was such a pain in the @SS!

Here's a few pics i took with my iPhone. I will be doing a full write up on how to install this stuff at a later date. I took tons of pics documenting the process.

I also added the M Performance side skirt decal recently. I was never a fan of this part for the F10 and didn't plan to get it for the F15 but my car needed it simply due to the rear side CF flipper/wing on the lower part of the bumper. From the side profile you can see the front CF lip and the back CF flipper but nothing on the skirt/middle. I have to say after installing this it really does tie everything all together now. Very happy with the look.

Next up....BMW M Performance Exhaust and 22" wheels

***** May 23rd Update *****

Just got the M Performance Exhaust installed. Wow. Can't be anymore perfect.

Loud and aggressive from the outside but barely audible from the inside. Love it!

***** June 2nd Update *****

New wheels teaser....

Better pics this weekend at the Rallye BMW Event

***** June 15th Update*****

Dusted off my SLR camera today and snapped a few shots while my daughter was napping in the car. Had to make the most of my time lol

|||Modifications List|||
M Performance Power Kit
M Performance Carbon Front Splitter
M Performance Carbon Rear Diffuser
M Performance Carbon Rear Flaps
M Performance Roof Spoiler
M Performance Exhaust System w. Black Tips
M Performance Black Kidney Grills
M Performance Side Skirt Film
M Performance Pedal Set
BBS SV Wheels 22x10.5F & 22.11.5R
BBS Red/Gold Center Caps
PZERO Asimmetrico Tires 295/30/22F & 335/25/22R
H&R 5MM Front Hub centric Spacer
H&R 12MM Rear Hub centric Spacer
Gloss Black Brake Calipers
M50D Open Grills with Silver Trim
IND Painted Front Reflector
Euro Side Mirrors
Formula One 30% Tinted Front Windows
Full De-badge

Added a red stripe on the M Performance Lip

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 04-20-2016 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 11
JustChris17420.00
Nismo G50.00
      04-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Congrats. Looks like it will be delivered soon.....east coast....just go to SC and pick it up!
      04-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Nice build.

Why did you not want the V8 this time around?
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Matt - I hope so! Believe it would so drive down there to pick it up if i could. Opted not to do the Performance center delivery since my wife wouldn't enjoy the long drive being nearly 7 months pregnant.

Taran - Believe me i debated this back and forth so many times. I went to my dealership with two builds in mind and one of the them was the V8. At the end i decided to do the right thing and went with the 3.5 instead. The power in my 550 is brutal and there is just so much of it all the time but honestly looking at my own driving habits with my kids/wife in the car I rarely get to enjoy all that power. I get to punch it once or twice a weekend and that's about it. Realistically the 3.5 will be enough for the type of driving my area allows. Plus I just don't believe the BMW V8's are meant to be trouble free like their inline six's are. On the F10 boards theres a good amount of people with 550 engine problems and my buddy at the dealership is a tech confirms the same thing. I may decide to keep this F15 long term and if that was the case the 3.5 is the motor I would rather own.
      04-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

3.0 they don't give us the extra .5 just in the badging haha

I understand it isn't the best for longevity. Our 2010 750li had the same issue and after 10k my dealer worked it out with BMW NA and took it back. I then got a fully equipped 550i M sport but same symptoms kept popping up and in 2011 I got my S550 and that has been a pleasure.

I just wanted a N55 back to my E9x roots haha
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Yes I know its only 3.0 Added that . by accident lol

I had both the N54 and N55. Great engines and should be much more reliable than the N63's. The N63TU in my 550 has been issue free but it only has 10K miles on it.

Last edited by Alan l.; 05-12-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

I am going to take the more OEM+ approach with the F15 this time around. BMW's are getting nicer and nicer straight from the factory especially in Msport trim that they don't need very much to really make them stand out imo. Modding is in my blood so no matter how much I try to convince myself that I will leave my next car stock it just doesn't seem to happen

Alan
I agree with you here. The Msport line on the X5 looks sweet without adding additional modification.. almost as if BMW knew exactly how we would like it if it was lightly modded

Can you tell me how much you paid for the carbon fiber side mirror covers?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Those in the pic are part of the rear diffuser. Its the side CF fin about $520 per side.

I can't be anymore happy with these factory carbon fiber pieces though. This is the difference between BMW doing things vs. some small shop trying to make parts by hand. These CF pieces are the best i've seen.

Alan
      04-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I hope the color match on the reflectors match, the MW reflectors I got for our M4 didn't match very well
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I hope so but i am expecting it to be a little off just based on how others on this forum looks. Mineral white and the fact that its painted on plastics seems to vary in shade. Other things I've gotten from IND have been dead on in terms of color match.

Another order placed with TAG Motorsport. This one should be interesting

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 04-20-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Another modder in the house! Yeah! Congrats on the ride.

The build looks great. Can't wait to see the final product. Welcome to the X5 world.

Z.
      04-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
dsmac
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xdrive 25d MSport

Hi Alan, Good to know you.

I am waiting for my mineral white M sport to arrive. Would love to know where you got the revised air intakes with the silver trim and what they cost you please.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
MeTaLX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 35i

congrats man, loving the colors and look!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmac View Post
Hi Alan, Good to know you.

I am waiting for my mineral white M sport to arrive. Would love to know where you got the revised air intakes with the silver trim and what they cost you please.

cheers
Contact R33_RGSport on this forum. here is his shop that has these in stock

http://www.rgsportshop.com

Those M50d fins were $300 and the open grills for both sides were about $120

Alan
      04-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Alan, congrats on your X5 and new addition to the family.
Sorry I am out of stock on the painted reflector.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #16
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Cinco

Quote:
I hope so but i am expecting it to be a little off just based on how others on this forum looks. Mineral white and the fact that its painted on plastics seems to vary in shade. Other things I've gotten from IND have been dead on in terms of color match.

Another order placed with TAG Motorsport. This one should be interesting

Alan
Thank you again for your business!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #17
kkakonn
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Cant wait to see the outcome. And congrats on your new car!
      04-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Another update....

Box 2 of 2 from Tischer BMW showed up today. Unfortunately there was an issue with one of the parts so that will have to be exchanged.. This piece however looked flawless!

04-20-2015, 11:30 PM   #19
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

NICE! I think I'm going to take your advice and get a 35 also. There are almost zero places to use the extra power in Brooklyn/Manhattan, especially since new speed cams are showing up everywhere.
Debating about the MPPK though.....It's a nice bump, but not sure if the power will be noticeable or not on a two and a half ton SUV. I'm sure the throttle response will be better, so maybe.

Skipping the M Performance exhaust? It sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #20
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Taran - Believe me i debated this back and forth so many times. I went to my dealership with two builds in mind and one of the them was the V8. At the end i decided to do the right thing and went with the 3.5 instead.
Congrats! I went through a similar struggle trying to decide between the two as this would primarily be used by my wife as a family/kids hauler/grocery getter. I was set on getting a 35i and went back and forth between my two builds, but in the end the test drive of the 50i won me over. The 50i felt like a completely different vehicle compared to the 35i and I felt the V8 offered more performance per dollar than the I6 version. Plus getting an SUV with the same engine as my E92 335i didn't seem logical to me, although the whole idea of getting a high performance SUV as a family hauler is illogical.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your car very much. I loved my E70 and like the F15 even more. Can't wait for mine to arrive and the black kidney grilles will be my first mod.
11 335i, 12 X5 50i, 10 G37x, 09 Legacy, 07 328i, 04 Accord, 05 Santro, 01 Mehran, 99 Caprice, 88 Cressida
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post
NICE! I think I'm going to take your advice and get a 35 also. There are almost zero places to use the extra power in Brooklyn/Manhattan, especially since new speed cams are showing up everywhere.
Debating about the MPPK though.....It's a nice bump, but not sure if the power will be noticeable or not on a two and a half ton SUV. I'm sure the throttle response will be better, so maybe.

Skipping the M Performance exhaust? It sounds great!
Nice! I agree on the roads that I am on 95% of the time is the BQE and the Belt Pkwy. Neither of them allow you to gun it for more than a 2 seconds due to traffic and the potholes.

MPPK is a no brainer to me. A lot of people try to bag on it due to the cost to performance ratio comparing it to the JB but what they don't realize is that its not just about the peak power with this MPPK tune. Improved throttle response, exhaust note, transmission shift logic and other parameters are all altered making for a much more sporty drive. NO piggyback will offer you that. All they do is give you a jumpy throttle response with high peak horsepower. I've had experience with almost all JB products, Proceed, Cobb Accessport in my last 3 BMW so i know what they are capable of. Nothing beats a good flash tune simply because piggybacks just can't access/alter those other areas. I recently just removed my JB tune from my 550 and it reconfirms all of this. While my car doesn't have the same peak power numbers it drives so much smoother.

Check out what Steve Dinan says about there MPPK dyno findings. Its highly underrated. Also check out his video about how the dinantronics works in comparison to other piggybacks. I'm far from a Dinan lover in the past and I never liked their products but the Dinantronics seems like the best solution if you care about driveability and not just about peak numbers.

Going with a different route with the exhaust. If i am spending money on an exhaust i want it to atleast look different. Wish the MP Exhaust had unique tips....not just the stock msport looking tips that they want $300 for.

Alan
      04-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmanx View Post
Congrats! I went through a similar struggle trying to decide between the two as this would primarily be used by my wife as a family/kids hauler/grocery getter. I was set on getting a 35i and went back and forth between my two builds, but in the end the test drive of the 50i won me over. The 50i felt like a completely different vehicle compared to the 35i and I felt the V8 offered more performance per dollar than the I6 version. Plus getting an SUV with the same engine as my E92 335i didn't seem logical to me, although the whole idea of getting a high performance SUV as a family hauler is illogical.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your car very much. I loved my E70 and like the F15 even more. Can't wait for mine to arrive and the black kidney grilles will be my first mod.
I know what you mean about the 50i feeling like a completely different car. I went through the same thing when i had my F10 535xi then switch over to the F10 550i. The power difference was dramatic and it does feel like a completely different car. Its just my area is like living in the city. There isn't many wide open roads where you get to fully enjoy nearly 500hp where it wouldn't get you into trouble quick. I guess i got my HP "fix" out of my with my 550 and i am ready to go back to a more normal car so to speak. Sometimes when you have all that power at your disposal.....it isn't always a good thing. Like they say....power corrupts lol

Alan