BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #265
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

Just out of curiosity, when or where would someone need remote start for?
Maybe a local phenomena, but I never heard of it in Netherlands. Doesn't sound very thief-proof nor enviromental friendly.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #266
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diper View Post
Just out of curiosity, when or where would someone need remote start for?
Maybe a local phenomena, but I never heard of it in Netherlands. Doesn't sound very thief-proof nor enviromental friendly.
its great to warm up the car in the am... especially when its 10 degrees out(fahrenheit), also the doors stay locked but if someone does get in i believe the engine switches off if the brake pedal is depressed.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #267
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman27 View Post
Cant believe my 2016 BMW x5 doesnt provide you a remote start for $70k .. My middle of the line Nissan PF has it standard. Very disappointed
aman27 Remote Start - isn't that the same as Auxiliary Heating? If so they do, in true BMW style its a cost option in UK (& Europe I assume).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #268
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
aman27 Remote Start - isn't that the same as Auxiliary Heating? If so they do, in true BMW style its a cost option in UK (& Europe I assume).
We don't get Aux Heating in US... From what I understand Aux heating is a separate
petrol or diesel fueled furnace that you can remotely start with your key fob or a timer, right?

Instead, many cars in the US are available with Remote start, which starts the engine
of your car with a remote (some with the same remote, some with a separate remote),
and locks the doors. If you don't insert the key within a certain time (10min?) the car
shuts off again. If you do get to the car, you have to unlock the doors to get in, and
when in, if you touch the brake before inserting the key the car will also shut off. ... so the
normal operation in cold weather would be, remote start, wait a few minutes for it to warm up,
unlock doors, enter, insert key, drive away

I was able to purchase and install this system myself on my wife's W204, as Mercedes
also doesn't offer remote start. A year ago the system cost me €399 but has increased
to €499. It works flawlessly, and was easy for me to install, so I'd gladly pay that again for
the F15 if somebody would design it... (I asked Cli*mate and they said they had no plans to)

Cli*mate system for MB

Last edited by wearenh; 01-17-2016 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #269
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

I've had my steering wheel shaft changed (by warranty) at a little bit over 10,000 miles. My steering wheel was making a disastrous noise every time I would start the car and at the time the wheel pops out of its default shutdown position. It was so bad that people I took for a ride actually had pretty bad laughs at my car about being so new and giving those funky noises.

The car ('15 F15) has visited the dealer 3 times due to the same issue. The first two times they just opened the wheel and put some lubricant on the shaft. The third time the dealer ordered a new shaft and changed it.

I was told this exact same issue used to happen on the former 7 Series.
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #270
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Wow, there are a lot of issues with the X5! I'm usually on the 3/4 series forums, but I've been having X5 fever lately and am seriously wanting to get one as my next lease, so decided to check out the forums.

How many of you that have had these issues would say it's a deal breaker to get another X5? And do you think the quality is related to the X5 being manufactured in the U.S. instead of in Germany? I would think they'd use the same machinery and materials for all BMW's.

I'm not saying the 3 series or any other model is manufactured perfectly, by any means, but damn it seems like the X5 (from what I've read on this thread) has issues right off the lot!
      01-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #271
Dash52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
Wow, there are a lot of issues with the X5! I'm usually on the 3/4 series forums, but I've been having X5 fever lately and am seriously wanting to get one as my next lease, so decided to check out the forums.

How many of you that have had these issues would say it's a deal breaker to get another X5? And do you think the quality is related to the X5 being manufactured in the U.S. instead of in Germany? I would think they'd use the same machinery and materials for all BMW's.

I'm not saying the 3 series or any other model is manufactured perfectly, by any means, but damn it seems like the X5 (from what I've read on this thread) has issues right off the lot!
I have had mine for 15 months with no issues whatsoever. I do agree with some of the design critics but they are minor compared to the overall driving experience and quality. Most , if not all are isolated situations that were correctable. Any car would have some issues if you ask as many owners that are on a forum like this. Compared to my RR Sport (2011) this is a much better made vehicle and the service IS included.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #272
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash52 View Post
I have had mine for 15 months with no issues whatsoever. I do agree with some of the design critics but they are minor compared to the overall driving experience and quality. Most , if not all are isolated situations that were correctable. Any car would have some issues if you ask as many owners that are on a forum like this. Compared to my RR Sport (2011) this is a much better made vehicle and the service IS included.
You're right. I guess it wouldn't be too big of an issue, since I'd be on a 3 yr lease, so any factory defects would be covered. And from what I've read and seen, the driving experience and quality are beautifully executed. I just think they're gorgeous, inside and out. I would even consider getting a base xdrive, since most of the features I want are now standard (Navigation, PDC & Camera, Xenons, Panoramic Moonroof, etc.)
      01-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #273
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
Wow, there are a lot of issues with the X5!
Really? You come are in a thread titled "Post your F15 issues here..." what did you expect to see, thousands of posts saying "no issues"?
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #274
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I went for a 5 hour trip 3 days ago, when I stated the car, the bottom 1/3 of the instrument cluster was blank. About 1 hr into the trip I got an error message that the car couldn't determine the position of the gear shift selector, that it might not shift properly and to contact my nearest BMW authorized dealer immediately. A few minutes later I got another error message saying that my pedestrian warning system was not functioning... I don't have that option in my car. When I got the error for pedestrian warning system the bottom 1/3 of the instrument cluster started working!!?? I then tried to use the cruise control and I got an error the CC system was not functioning and to contact my BMW dealer. Shutting off the car, waiting a minute and restarting didn't help. Shutting off the car, locking it, waiting 10 minutes and then restarting seemed to clear it up, for now. Car has about 3600 miles on it, doesn't give me the warm fuzzy's for the long run with this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #275
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

I've had my 2014 X5 M-Sport diesel for about a month now. No issues until yesterday, was backing up into garage all of a sudden the music stopped playing. Screen went blank then No signal popped up. The system restarted a few seconds after and carried on playing music and displaying rear camera. Assuming it crashed for what ever reason and needed to reboot. Not a big deal if it doesn't happen too ofter.

Other weird thing also happened yesterday, was in the drive through getting my morning coffee and a msg popped up "drive train malfunction" please see your dealer. I selected ok it disappeared. Nothing wrong with the operation of the vehicle, all gears available etc, nothing out of the ordinary as far as operation went. I went into settings to do a systems check, said everything OK. Could not find any indication of the drive train malfunction msg anywhere. I'm guessing a sensor threw a code then corrected itself? Anybody had that happen to them?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #276
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talltress View Post
I've had my 2014 X5 M-Sport diesel for about a month now. No issues until yesterday, was backing up into garage all of a sudden the music stopped playing. Screen went blank then No signal popped up. The system restarted a few seconds after and carried on playing music and displaying rear camera. Assuming it crashed for what ever reason and needed to reboot. Not a big deal if it doesn't happen too ofter.
Like this?

I've had this same thing happen twice in the first month of ownership. Seems that perhaps it's an iDrive re-boot issue. I've noticed that it will reboot after some of the iDrive controls are pushed on the center dash.

Very weird, especially as it's on start up and typically when I'm backing out and using the back up cam.
      01-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #277
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talltress
Other weird thing also happened yesterday, was in the drive through getting my morning coffee and a msg popped up "drive train malfunction" please see your dealer. I selected ok it disappeared. Nothing wrong with the operation of the vehicle, all gears available etc, nothing out of the ordinary as far as operation went. I went into settings to do a systems check, said everything OK. Could not find any indication of the drive train malfunction msg anywhere. I'm guessing a sensor threw a code then corrected itself? Anybody had that happen to them?
Yes, I've had it happen multiple times with no direct adverse affects. There's a specific stretch of road I travelled frequently this past summer that was a downhill with an undulation at the bottom before immediately transitioning to an uphill left hand curve. That seemed to throw off one of the sensors ~30% of the time. I ack'd the error each time and went on my way with no ill effects.
      01-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #278
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Yes, I've had it happen multiple times with no direct adverse affects. There's a specific stretch of road I travelled frequently this past summer that was a downhill with an undulation at the bottom before immediately transitioning to an uphill left hand curve. That seemed to throw off one of the sensors ~30% of the time. I ack'd the error each time and went on my way with no ill effects.
Thanks for that...makes me feel a bit better. Coming from a dead nuts reliable 07 Acura MDX I'm more than a little worried about BMW's overall reliability. Everyone and their damn uncle likes to tell me I made a bad choice, Pffftttt!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #279
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortugaX5 View Post
Like this?

I've had this same thing happen twice in the first month of ownership. Seems that perhaps it's an iDrive re-boot issue. I've noticed that it will reboot after some of the iDrive controls are pushed on the center dash.

Very weird, especially as it's on start up and typically when I'm backing out and using the back up cam.
TortugaX5 Doanster Talltress I also had the very same thing - happened early morning on both occasions within the first couple of months of ownership. Since then and >20k miles no re-occurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #280
swirl80
Rep
Drives: BMW xDrive40d

Not all contacts are being sync'd - OxygenOS

I have a OnePlus 2 which runs a modified version of Android called OxygenOS and everytime I sync the contacts I get a different list of people sync'd and was wondering if this was a known issue with Android/iDrive or am I being thick n doing something daft? My wife's iPhone 6 sync's up perfect no problem but mine is so random. I've compared the difference between contacts that are syncing and those that are not but can't seen any difference between them so I'm baffled as to why this is happening as I have never had this issue previously with LR where the technology is (in comparison to most on the market these days) pretty old and in some respects rubbish.

I've cleaned up my contacts on google and made sure everyone is in "My Contacts". Even tried exporting from google and importing directly to my phone but even this doesn't seem to resolve the issue of random syncing.

Is there a limit on the number of contacts you can sync as I have a lot (~500) in my phone and was wondering if there was only so many it could take but in saying that, the list seems to vary each time I drive the car. One thing that is consistent is that the wife's number is never sync'd.......not sure if that's a good or bad thing
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #281
swirl80
Rep

Parking Brake activation

From reading the manual (yes it resorted to this!) it seems to say that the parking brake will only automatically deploy if the AutoHold has been activated and you stop the car and turn the engine off. Is there a way for it to automatically deploy everytime you turn it off as I'm not a big fan of the autohold so rarely turn it on? My 2 previous Land Rover's (and the wife's Golf GTI) did this as standard and was wondering if I was missing a trick....?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #282
swirl80
Rep

"Clicking" from accelerator pedal

Not sure if this has been there since I first picked the car up last week but I've started noticing a clicking noise everytime I put my foot on the accelerator (link to vid below). It's not causing a problem as such but more of an annoyance and was wondering if this was a known fault before I go back to BMW tomorrow.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fYI...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #283
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
TortugaX5 Doanster Talltress I also had the very same thing - happened early morning on both occasions within the first couple of months of ownership. Since then and >20k miles no re-occurance.
The fix for this seems to be the iDrive firmware update, which is a DIY (you need a USB), with a download directly from BMW.

For those who have not done it, there are several threads out there. It does not mess with any coding you may have done. It also improves Bluetooth connectivity, album art display, and Chinese/Korean/Japanese character displays.

Have VIN ready, download from here, and instal: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
      01-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #284
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
The fix for this seems to be the iDrive firmware update, which is a DIY (you need a USB), with a download directly from BMW.

For those who have not done it, there are several threads out there. It does not mess with any coding you may have done. It also improves Bluetooth connectivity, album art display, and Chinese/Korean/Japanese character displays.

Have VIN ready, download from here, and instal: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

Thanks MattBianco I'm downloading the file now and will report back after install.

Is it a simple plug and play install? Or will I need to put the car into a special mode? I have not coded anything into my vehicle yet.
      01-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #285
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortugaX5 View Post
Thanks MattBianco I'm downloading the file now and will report back after install.

Is it a simple plug and play install? Or will I need to put the car into a special mode? I have not coded anything into my vehicle yet.
My pleasure. Very simple. After download plug the USB into the port. Go to iDrive (I think under settings) and click on update software. Takes 2-5 minutes. I keep ignition on (tap power twice) or engine on.
      01-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #286
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
My pleasure. Very simple. After download plug the USB into the port. Go to iDrive (I think under settings) and click on update software. Takes 2-5 minutes. I keep ignition on (tap power twice) or engine on.
MattBianco I'm having some troubles with my install.

I followed your steps but it doesn't seem to be working.

I got this error first when I tried to update via usb.

So I went back to bmw.com/update and tried to download the file and load it back onto the usb again. Maybe I messed up and downloaded the wrong file...Then I get this message upon my next attempt with the new file.